Scaling recipes

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Scaling recipes

Post by chefgage » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

I currently brew 10l batches. I usually make my own recipes using the beer style guides. I have a couple of books with some tasty looking recipes in so was wondering the best way to scale the recipe in my book to my equipment profile in beersmith.

I havent tried it yet but i know there is a scale recipe option in beersmith. Also another option would be to just create the recipe from the book using my equipment profile. As the recipe makes 23l the amount of grain needed would push the OG right up using my equipment profile of 10l. By using the sliding scales i could bring this down to what the recipe calls for.

This part i think i am happy with but would the same work for the hops with regards to the recipe IBU?

If for example three different hps were used in tue recipe would me just sliding the scales back down correctly scale the hops to the correct IBU from the recipe based on my equipment profile?

Has anyone got any experience with doing this that wouldnt mind sharing :D

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: Scaling recipes

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:31 am

Here's what I do and it works well.

Input the recipe from the book using BeerSmith, just pick a standard 23 litre brew length profile.

Save it to make sure everything looks OK and then use the scale recipe option in beersmith. It will adjust everything for you.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Ah I see. So it does not matter about the equipment profile at the beginning, just make the litres the same as the recipe then scale to my own profile.

Right I will give it a go later :D

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:34 pm

chefgage wrote:Ah I see. So it does not matter about the equipment profile at the beginning, just make the litres the same as the recipe then scale to my own profile.

Right I will give it a go later :D
Actually it can, your 23 litre based system might for example have a boil off of 8-10 litres and/or a larger deadspace calculation than the 10l system. What BS will do is warn you that you will also need to adjust the equipment profile too. It has to do this to be able to advise you on volumes etc but the ingredients will be correct for a 10l batch scaled down from whatever the recipe is at greater brew lengths.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer