(Not quite) 1837 IPA

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
jubby
Under the Table

Re: (Not quite) 1837 IPA

Post by jubby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:11 pm

my wlp007 is apparently a whitbread strain, as are wyeast 1098 and 1099 (not sure about 1097, couldn't find any info)
Sorry, meant 1098
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Well this has been food for thought. Just dug out a mixture of hop bag ends from the freezer (Target, El Dorado, Brewers Gold and Topaz. All had been re-vac packed and are 3-4 years old, although they don't smell cheesey can't see myself using them for flavour or aroma additions in anything. However a big bittering addition, maybe.

Planning a brew for Christmas based very loosely on Ron Pattinsons 1868 Tetley EIPA

100% Maris Otter Blend mash at 67C

90 minute boil with all hops at 90 minutes.

Ferment initially with WLP028 Edinburgh Yeast then WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii, and perhaps with a small amount of oak.

Even with rough hop age adjustment it should give a theoretical IBUs of 220 and be 6-7% abv.

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:14 pm

To be brutally honest, I would bin the hops and go with a cheaper UK single hop like Goldings or Fuggles (or maybe both) IMO If you're going to invest the time to brew and age, it's better to start with decent ingredients. Even though the hops are full boil, there's still lots of flavour & aroma if you use enough.

Nick.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm very much viewing this as a cheap experiment. Old hops, harvested yeast and £3.20 worth of grain. During our talk by Ron, he talked about how 1800s breweries stored hops for years and used hops other than uk varieties, to deal with shortages during bad harvests, so they weren't always brewing with fresh seasons hops. I'm also intrigued as to how far you can push things having read a Brulosopher trail comparing 10 year old Williamette with fresh, and not getting a noticeable difference. There are common fruity, citrus, spicy notes to each of the hops, so hopefully there won't be to much of a clash, and the brett should bring some pineapple tropical notes to compliment the NZ hops.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 am

Sadfield wrote:I'm very much viewing this as a cheap experiment. Old hops, harvested yeast and £3.20 worth of grain. During our talk by Ron, he talked about how 1800s breweries stored hops for years and used hops other than uk varieties, to deal with shortages during bad harvests, so they weren't always brewing with fresh seasons hops. I'm also intrigued as to how far you can push things having read a Brulosopher trail comparing 10 year old Williamette with fresh, and not getting a noticeable difference. There are common fruity, citrus, spicy notes to each of the hops, so hopefully there won't be to much of a clash, and the brett should bring some pineapple tropical notes to compliment the NZ hops.

Fair point. Hope it turns out well.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Yeah I am thinking of a hop clearout like this as well. Just recently used old hops in a simcoe/centennial APA and the beer tastes fab out of the FV when I bottled it. A 220 IBU DIPA could be a really interesting brewing project.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm confident the hops will be ok, if not the problem would likely be Isovaleric Acid causing cheese off flavours in the finished beer. Party why I'm going to Brett the beer as a safety net, as it metabolises Isovaleric Acid into fruity flavours.

If it works out ok, it may be fun to get an oak or chestnut cask and do the same in yearly rotation.

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Sadfield wrote:Well this has been food for thought. Just dug out a mixture of hop bag ends from the freezer (Target, El Dorado, Brewers Gold and Topaz. All had been re-vac packed and are 3-4 years old, although they don't smell cheesey can't see myself using them for flavour or aroma additions in anything. However a big bittering addition, maybe.

Planning a brew for Christmas based very loosely on Ron Pattinsons 1868 Tetley EIPA

Ferment initially with WLP028 Edinburgh Yeast then WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii, and perhaps with a small amount of oak.

Even with rough hop age adjustment it should give a theoretical IBUs of 220 and be 6-7% abv.
Sounds like an interesting one. If you'd like to do a bottleswap once they're both ready, let me know!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am

Could do a swap providing my memory holds up after 6 months. :)

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 pm

I just opened an early bottle of this, purely to check carbonation of course.

Really nice aroma, hard to pin down but think there is pear, lychee and cream in there. Quite different to previous beers i've made with goldings. It's full bodied, think i carbed it correctly, with an assertive bitterness when it reaches the back of your mouth.

This one is definitely in the ball park that i was aiming for, hopefully time will work some magic!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Sadfield wrote:Well this has been food for thought. Just dug out a mixture of hop bag ends from the freezer (Target, El Dorado, Brewers Gold and Topaz. All had been re-vac packed and are 3-4 years old, although they don't smell cheesey can't see myself using them for flavour or aroma additions in anything. However a big bittering addition, maybe.

Little up date and a snippet of info.

Brewed this around 7 weeks ago, and ended up pitching Brett Clausenii into it and moved it to secondary with a couple of Oak Barrel chunks. The plan now is to leave this until Christmas, not long enough to be historically accurate.

This leads me to the snippet of info. Knowing that these beers were stock ales and normally left in the barrel for 12 months in a brewery yard, it got me wondering at which point were they dry hopped? Before shipping to India? But then they were not always shipped as there was a domestic market. Also, to what rate of hopping? Only one man to ask, Ron Pattinson.
Screenshot 2017-06-26 16.59.07.png
Putting that in new money, that is 8-16oz in a 36 Gallon Barrel > 164-452g in 164L > 1.37-2.75g/L

It'll be interesting what 5-6 months dry hopping does, given that talk of more than a couple of weeks normally elicits warnings of grassiness. Anyhow, put some First Gold in a the higher hopping rate.

RobP

Post by RobP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Fantastic.
Going to brew "1869 Simonds SB" from one of Ron Pattinson's books tomorrow.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3CS ... sb&f=false
6Kg Chevallier Heritage Malt
60g Cluster 60 mins
150g EKG 30 mins

Looking forward to trying this in a few months