Ideas for Waiiti and cascade?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Brewedout
Piss Artist

Ideas for Waiiti and cascade?

Post by Brewedout » Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm

I've discovered a good quantity of Wai iti and cascade in the bottom of the freezer. Has anyone made a good brew with these? Do they work well together? If so are you willing to share a recipe as a starting point for me?

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Ideas for Waiiti and cascade?

Post by Sadfield » Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 pm

I think they would go together, but the Cascade may overpower the Wai iti, which is a great hop. The wai iti will add an extra citrus dimension and fruitiness the cascade lacks.

Use the Wai-iti in a single hop beer, as its so low in AA you can use loads late on without going really bitter. Really good for a dry hopped lager, as its bred from Hallertau mittelfruh but adds fresh Lime notes. I recently won a comp using it in a SMaSH saison, has a lovely new world character when fresh, but ages out into a classic noble hop when the lime drops off after 6 months.

I also use Wai iti in a chocolate Lime american brown ale to good effect. The cascade could replace the citra in this... http://macchomebrew.club/index.php/2017 ... brown-ale/

As for the Cascade? Heavy handed hopping in an American Pale Ale is a winner.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Sadfield on Mon May 22, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon May 22, 2017 10:46 pm

I made a poor man's single hop with Wai Iti recently and it was great - poor man's because it wasn't a single hop, used challenger for most of the bittering charge as Wai Iti is such low AA. If you search my posts I posted about it.

If I were to repeat it I'd pimp up the malt bill - I love the malt character of the Brewdog "Ace of ...." single hop brews and think a Wai Iti one would be great.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue May 23, 2017 12:10 am

Thanks for your ideas, thinking of going for single hop wai iti for my first brew then a cascade brew for my second. Is cascade a good single hop or is it better to combine with others. I've not used it before.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 am

Cascade is great as a single hop. Give or take some bittering hops for economic reasons, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is Cascade for flavour and aroma additions, as is Darkstar Hophead. Probably the hop that launched craft brewing in the US.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue May 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Is it best for late addition?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Yep, definetely best as an aroma hop.