Post your best Lager recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Post your best Lager recipe

Post by mrboxpiff » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 am

Recently brewed a Corona Extra clone which was unfortunately a little disappointing. So need to brew another lager for the summer weather (when it arrives!!!!).

Suggestions along with AG recipes please (I have a brew fridge)

Many thanks

Barley Water
Under the Table

Re: Post your best Lager recipe

Post by Barley Water » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Well just a quick comment about Corona; you know the Mexicans laugh at us when we drink that stuff, right? Oh and there is a reason people put limes in that stuff. Have you ever had a nice German Helles (you know, of biergarden fame)? Lightly hopped, relatively low ABV and malty (one of my favs). The recipe is easy, good quality German pils malt, 1/2 a pound or so of Carapils (in a 5 gallon batch), fairly soft water and about 20 IBU's from a nice noble hop (the majority of which is the bittering addition). I make mine a 1.048 beer and I use one of the nice German lager yeasts. The recipe is easy, it's all in the execution. Have fun and enjoy. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

RobP

Post by RobP » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Bohemian Pilsner:
http://byo.com/malt/item/1929-bohemian- ... le-profile
20 Litre batch, Approx 1.048 OG, 80% brewhouse efficiency.
Fermentables
4Kg Weyerman Pilsen Malt
250g Weyerman Aromatic Malt
Hops (IBU= 40)
60 min-50g Saaz (3.5% AA) (plus bittering hops if necessary)
30 min-25g Saaz
10 min- 25g Saaz
Yeast
Saflager W-34/20/wlp82/Wyeast Bohemian lager

mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Post by mrboxpiff » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks Rob and BW, beginning to think I was the only one who could see my post[RELIEVED FACE].

Thanks for the suggestions. Can someone explain what "aromatic malt" is? Obviously I can order some, but I'd like to know what makes it different from other malts.
Cheers

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

RobP

Post by RobP » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:05 pm

I think Weyermann actually call theirs "melanoidin malt" but it just adds a bit more malt taste and aroma to the beer, I think biscuit malt is similar. Darkens it a little as well. I actually use Dingeman's (Belgium) aromatic but I mis-typed.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Think of melonodin malt as purchasing a decoction. Actually, if I were making either a helles or a bohemian pils I would do a decoction (likely a single for the helles and maybe a double for the Bohemian pils plus I would probably boil down some of the first runnings as well). Especially for the pils, you want really soft water as it affects the way the hops present in the beer. If you really want what I guess I would call a "Mexican lager" you likely need to think about adding corn to the grist and dumbing down the hops. You can add flaked corn or do a cereal mash with ground corn (it's fun, I do it all the time when I make CAPs). That will thin the beer out, lighten it up and add sort of a sweet corn flavor which I personally like. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

RobP

Post by RobP » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:02 pm

By all means try some decoction mashes if you want to but current wisdom is they make no difference. My own experience agrees with that but I still do them to speed up heating the mash between steps.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:45 pm

A cereal mash with cheap long grain rice really does change the flavour. I used it in a Peroni clone. I added quite a lot so going to ease off next time! It's a good skill to add to your brewing tool bag.