Dead Pony Club

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
The Epworth Brewer

Dead Pony Club

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:29 am

I'm going for this one in the next week or so using the info supplied to us by Brewdog, just waiting for the Simcoe and Mosaic to arrive. Has anyone done it since the recipe was given?

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Dead Pony Club

Post by Jambo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 am

Nope but one of my favourite brews to drink and on my to do list so do let us know how you get on!

Was on a tour of the brewery yesterday as it happens, some operation. The brewer leading the tour was labouring the importance of dry hopping in getting DPC right.

Good luck!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:24 pm

It's on my "next-to-do" list (grain weighed out) but I've put it on hold until a pair of hop spiders turn up from China. Last week I just had 30g of dry hops (leaf) to deal with, and that was tricky (I can't reach the bottom of my conical to clean it out, and tipping it could result in a nasty accident). 400g (45L batch) may well cause lots of unforeseen problems, not least that I'll be racking off the beer from under a mountain of spent dry hops.

I use whole hops for dry hopping simply because they are the same variety hops used in the boil and I can't deal with pellets in the boil (don't understand why they've become so popular with home-brewers; is it normal now to purchase ultra expensive whirlpool systems?). I've bought the hop spiders to dry hop with pellets later on (throwing them in loose makes a hell of a mess). Hop spiders also allow dry hopping in the kegs as well as the "secondary". The hop spiders are 70x300 so they'll fit in my (corny) kegs.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Do you have a link for the spiders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Is Jim alright about that? I believe this forum to be attached to a commercial concern and I'm not sure about advertising products from elsewhere.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Ah right. No idea. Assumed it wouldn't be a problem sharing where you bought something from. Folk usually put links up for party's to brewing system builds and alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 pm

I haven't forgotten this one. There's an enforced delay for a few days due to sciatica. :-({|=

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:03 am

The Epworth Brewer wrote:I haven't forgotten this one. There's an enforced delay for a few days due to sciatica. :-({|=
My hop spiders have arrived, my hops are here, the grain (for dead pony club) is weighed out, the race is on!

I got over my sciatica last year, but the recent hip replacement means I've not got too much of an advantage.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:35 pm

You go ahead PeeBee. I'm getting enough of a hit on Tramadol for the time being.

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Ive brewed it , turned out very well , but am sure I’ve read that they dry hop at 15oc , which am currently doing on a different batch now :D , you won’t be disappointed.

lionelo

Post by lionelo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I absolutely adore this beer, the taste is unforgetable.

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:59 am

Well done PeeBee. I must admit the one thing Brewdog don't give you is the timing and temperature for the dry hopping. I was thinking of doing it for a 4-5 day secondary ferment.
All being well it's on for Monday.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:51 pm

14 degrees is there dry hopping temp its mentioned in one of there recipes hints and tips section

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:04 am

The Epworth Brewer wrote:Well done PeeBee. I must admit the one thing Brewdog don't give you is the timing and temperature for the dry hopping. I was thinking of doing it for a 4-5 day secondary ferment.
All being well it's on for Monday.
Damn, that'll put me behind. I've not got the water prepped yet and the electricity is to be switched off on Monday. So I'm Tuesday earliest.
I was also hoping to get some temperature control on the fermenter for fermenting at about 17-18C and then dry-hopping 4-5 days (like you) at 15-16C. Guess I can hash something together (I do need to test the method of temperature control, but I have to overcome the annoying urge to make it look pretty).

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:41 am

Don't panic. I forgot, I have a physio appointment on Monday, so it's now Wednesday. Just trying to keep you on your toes.