ESB recipe change ideas

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
chefgage
Hollow Legs

ESB recipe change ideas

Post by chefgage » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:28 pm

I came up with this recipe for an ESB. I tried to match the ESB in the BJCP 2015 style guide. The link shows the recipe. It turned out to be very drinkable!

I want to brew it again but make a bit of a change or addition. Although it is very good i feel it lacks something but i cannot think what. It could do with a bit of head retention as well. Any ideas from you knowledgeable people as to what i could add or change maybe?

Thanks.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1389071/16-esb

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: ESB recipe change ideas

Post by MarkA » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:07 pm

If you want more head retention, the obvious choice would be to add some torrified wheat (5% or so)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks I will do that. Any thoughts on something extra to the recipe.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:33 am

You could try a different yeast, S04 is quiet clean. Try this link and select English Bitter from the style tab, for alternatives and what they bring to the party. https://byo.com/resources/yeast

Sounds like you have the balance of hops and malt right, but lack depth of flavour. Keeping the quantities of ingredients the same, think about adding layers of flavour.

Using two hops where you make your EKG additions will add other flavours and aromas, creating a more complex beer.

Another consideration is instead of using a single addition of one crystal malt, try adding smaller amounts of different crystal malts, for example instead of just using crystal 80, use a mix of crystal 40 and 120. Crystal malts all give caramel flavours, but also add other flavours depending on how dark they are, ranging from honey to dried fruits, layering these flavours add complexity to the beer whilst still achieving the same colour.

It's a tricky balancing act though, there are fine margins between bland, complex and muddled.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Thankyou for the detailed reply, lots to think about there :)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:00 pm

I certainly agree with what you say about it lacking depth of flavour, just having a pint of it now and it does taste like that. I think the first change i will make is like you say add two crystal malts instead of one.

Do you think a 50-50 mix of the crystal 40 and 120 would be about right?

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 pm

I use 7% torrified wheat in my ESB and 3% normal crystal plus 2% dark crystal. Seems to have pretty decent head retention. I use the fullers yeast strain - wyeast 1968.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:35 pm

MrN wrote:I use 7% torrified wheat in my ESB and 3% normal crystal plus 2% dark crystal. Seems to have pretty decent head retention. I use the fullers yeast strain - wyeast 1968.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks. I will definetly be giving the torrified wheat a try.