raspberry wit

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
rui
Piss Artist

raspberry wit

Post by rui » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:16 am

helloo from a warm and burnning Portugal :cry:
Here in Portugal, summer its being problematic with a lot of forests fires....specially for who lives in the country like me. Some weeks ago, my town was almost consumed by the flames, and in this situations you see who are the friends that are there for every kind of situation. A friend had his house almost burnned, but we were abble to save it with the help from the firemans and army, but were 4 long days and nights..... That friend to say thanks to everyone that helped, organized a pool party and a barbecue. Everyone would take something to drink or eat, and i of course offered me to brew something for the event. something that i did :mrgreen:

We have a lot of girls in the group, they were brave fighting the fire, so i brewed something thinking about them. (the most of the people are not into craftbeer scene, but slowly they start to be curious about it, and the girls usually arent drinking beer) But this time i nailled it :twisted:

My first concern was to make something light, not to bitter and refreshing for a warm day(40ºC) and tasty, capable to convince the girls 8) , I went for a witbier's grain bill, but with a twist, instead of usual orange peel and coriander, i used a japanese hops and raspberry in secondary. The other reason that i choosed a witbier, was beacause of the short time i had...25 days to brew it, fermentation, kegging, carbonating....... :!:

I dont have many fotos of the brewday, but i was also using my new brew set up, a ACE Microbrewery 30L =D>

here's the recipe:

Witbier

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 18.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.340
Total Hops (g): 25.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.036 (°P): 9.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006 (°P): 1.5
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.91 %
Colour (SRM): 2.9 (EBC): 5.8
Bitterness (IBU): 15.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 63
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Pilsner (59.88%)
0.840 kg Wheat Malt (25.15%)
0.500 kg Flaked Wheat (14.97%)

Hop Bill
----------------
5.0 g Sorachi Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort) (0.3 g/L)
20.0 g Sorachi Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
1.500 kg raspberry, Frozen

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safbrew T-58

Notes
----------------
Added 1.5kg of raspberry during 5 days!!!
Sample taste: Realy dry, reached 1006, and with a good acidity.....refreshing!!

First pint out of the keg
http://imgur.com/g1VVOPy

http://imgur.com/LBINWob

The raspberry wit at the party in good company, with a nice mango Pale ale that brewed before for my summer's beer keg stock!!

http://imgur.com/lDSaI5N

http://imgur.com/2a0co1F

Like i said above, the most of the people are shitty lager drinkers, that they brought in large amounts, but my 36L of beer were finishing in a couple of hours, and received lots of compliments from everyone.
This beer let me proud of my brewer skills, because i was able to plan, build a recipe, brew the beer, that fitted perfectly to the place, the moment and the audiance.

Cheers
Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#54 CHRISTMAS Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1: BIAB#49 Kölsh
keg2: Robust Porter
Keg3: Saison
Keg4: Best Bitter
bottled and conditioning: Extra-stout, Blonde ale, APA and Smoked Porter

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Re: raspberry wit

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Brilliant! I've been thinking along these lines for a while, and I must have a go at a fruit beer. Couldn't see the pictures sadly as the wonderful company I work for (symbol of scallop) security blocked them!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 pm

rui,
Lovely looking Beer! =D> =D>
Did you put a few suckling piglets in the Forest Fire to save a bit of gas? :D

WA

Glad to see everyone is safe!

rui
Piss Artist

Post by rui » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am

WalesAles wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 pm
rui,
Lovely looking Beer! =D> =D>
Did you put a few suckling piglets in the Forest Fire to save a bit of gas? :D

WA

Glad to see everyone is safe!
Thanks Wales!! no i didnt, but was roasting some when i brewed this!! Saturday i will brew it again, hopping that in 20 days i have another keg of it, to try new kegerator that i m DIY at moment, as a request from the missus, to have at home :)
FV2:
FV3:

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:58 am

We travel down through Portugal every September and over the years the only craft beer that I have found to be reasonable is Marafada from the Algarve. Your beers look a lot better.
Had a lot of problems finding a translation for Marafada but it apparently means in local patois a very attractive young lady. In American a "humdinger". In English a "right cracker" or as Dell Boy would say "a bit of a sort"😀
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

rui
Piss Artist

Post by rui » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 pm

First of all, thanks!! But Marafada has some nice beers too!! At the moment you find more and more craftbeer all around Portugal!! in algarve, you have some nice places with craft beer, let me know when you're there, i give you some tips where to find it!! and yes, Marafada refers to an attractive young lady, but not a easy one ;)
FV2:
FV3:

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 am

rui wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 pm
First of all, thanks!! But Marafada has some nice beers too!! At the moment you find more and more craftbeer all around Portugal!! in algarve, you have some nice places with craft beer, let me know when you're there, i give you some tips where to find it!! and yes, Marafada refers to an attractive young lady, but not a easy one ;)
I have tried "Wild Coast" and it is just yet another cloudy hop soup. I will be visiting this guy again in Loule. https://m.facebook.com/GOURMET-MADE-IN- ... 0973/?rc=p.
He stocks a good range of craft beers.
We always travel down through Spain and cross into Portugal at Badajoz. This time we are going to spend a day in Evora and then continue down to Gale on the Algarve coast. If you have any information about other craft beers please let me know.
Ian
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)