Fruity Oat Mild

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Fruity Oat Mild

Post by gaunt_paul » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 pm

I wanted to come up with a low ABV beer for an event in a month or so, with the hope that the whole keg will be tanned in one sitting. There will be a few more straight forward beers from other folks there too, so thought this might be an opportunity to try another experiment. I thought that I would mix qualities from uber-trendy craft world and the traditional flat(ter)-and-warm(er) world, so here is my NEIPA inspired mild. If this comes out as planned it will be considered blasphemous by both camps. It's still in the fermenter right now, but I'm hoping for a full body, fruit flavours and present but non-assertive bitterness. So far it seems to be on track.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 19.00 l
Bottling Volume: 17.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 9.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
3.54 kg Mild Malt (7.9 EBC) 78.0 %
1.00 kg Porridge Oats (2.0 EBC) 22.0 % (I subjected this to a 30 minute cereal mash prior to adding this to the rest of the grist)
8.00 g Hallertau Magnum [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 m 13.2 IBUs
15.00 g Dana [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 m 8.2 IBUs
15.00 g Topaz [16.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 10.5 IBUs

White Labs #WLP002 pitched at 16c, moved to a 20c cupboard for primary. I'll be adding the following in a day or two...

zest of 1 red grapefruit, 1 white grapefruit, 1 large orange, 1 lime (soaked in small amount of vodka for one week)
30g Dana, 30g Topaz

I plan to leave the dry hop and fruit in the fermenter for only 24 hours, to avoid any vegetal flavours from the hops (I've heard these varieties can head that way) and to limit the fruit a little. I'll then move the beer straight into a corny and get it carbed to a low level.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Fruity Oat Mild

Post by keith1664 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Nothing wrong with pushing the boundaries. The fruit zest... are you just adding the liquor? If so I'd suggest adding it a bit at a time, it can be quite powerful.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 pm

I think i'll go all in, but will remove the peel after 24 hours max. I'm aiming for quite prominent fruit, so hopefully this will get there

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:19 am

Keith's right , you can add but you can't take away.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer