Galaxy Recipes

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Mattpc
Piss Artist

Galaxy Recipes

Post by Mattpc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:39 pm

I've got a couple of packs of Galaxy hops that I haven't got round to doing anything with. Anyone got any favorite recipes they would like to share that use this hop please? I could do a SMASH but would probably prefer to pair it with some other American hops. I've got Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo in stock.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Galaxy Recipes

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 am

If you haven't used Galaxy before I would bitter with Chinook and use the Galaxy for the rest, that way you will maximise the value of the hop and get to know it. Good enough on its own. Are they Aussie or USA?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 am

If you haven't used Galaxy before I would bitter with Chinook and use the Galaxy for the rest, that way you will maximise the value of the hop and get to know it. Good enough on its own. Are they Aussie or USA?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Cam
Steady Drinker

Post by Cam » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 am

I was the same. Had some and didnt know what was best so as orlando suggested I made a big IPA with it. Tasted nice going into the bottles last night. If I remember I will report back in a few weeks. I hope its good cause it one of the brews for my wedding haha.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

Search for Dennis Kings Galaxy delight recipe,you can't go wrong with it to highlight the hops but still have a nice malty body.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:03 pm

I have to say I don't really fancy the Denis King recipe but thanks for the suggestion. I think I would rather use the hops later in the boil than Denis suggests and hopefully avoid having to wait for the beer to mellow. I was thinking more like having a small amount of Cascade at the beginning of the boil and then Galaxy and a little Cascade as very late additions and a hefty dry hop with Galaxy. IPA strength with some interesting malty flavors to go with the hops. My Galaxy hops are Australian. I think I got them from Brew UK last year or the year before.

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Orlando thanks for the suggestion regarding Chinook. I do find that Chinook stamps its own footprint on a beer even if only a little is used for bittering so I'll probably leave it out this time. I've got lots of Cascade knocking around and I don't mind using one full 100g pack of Galaxy for one brew as my freezer storage is limited at the moment. I quite fancy making my own version of something like Vocation Brewary Life and Death IPA. Maybe a massive Galaxy dry hop might get some of that tropical fruit in? I haven't enjoyed many Galaxy SMASH recipes that I've had, finding them a little harsh. I really more interested in using Galaxy for Juicy and Dry Hop flavors. Whether this is realistic I'm not sure but I've got two packs to use up so I'll give it a go.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Just a good bittering hop like magnum or northern brewer, then plenty of Galaxy at 15 and 5 and dry hop. If you're sticking to what you've got though, I would join Orlando with the Chinook bittering, if not Centennial.

I did mine with Northern Brewer and drunk within a few weeks.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:20 pm

The bittering charge is just that, bittering. You wont get any aroma coming from that after 60-90 mintes so it doesn't really matter what you use. The higher the alpha the better, if you are using whole hops. It means less "veg" in the boil and makes run off easier. Save the glamour hops for late and dry hop additions.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Um...I disagree just a little (but respectfully) with the last post. Although I agree that any hop can handle the bittering chore, if you have brewing water with a high mineral content and use a high cohumolone hop, you increase the risk that the bittering will come off as harsh. Especially here in the States where it seems there is always an arms race to see how much hop somebody can cram into a beer, it can really mess things up if one is not careful. I like Warrior or Magnum as the bittering addition as you can avoid that problem with those two varieties in really bitter beers (APA's, American IPA's etc) plus as previously mentioned it keeps the volume of vegetal matter down (which can also bugger things up). I know many on these forums have read my rants about Chinook so I won't bore you with yet another epistle however that particular hop is high cohumolone (just one of the reasons I won't use it). As always, you mileage may vary. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:19 pm

I was keeping quiet as I don't have expert knowledge about bittering hops but I have to say, I always understood and have experienced that the qualities of Chinook do shine through even when it is used as a bittering hop. The bitterness it imparts has a character that I feel is specific to Chinook. I quite like it but I do notice it.

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Dennis King does a beauty...........
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:38 pm

I don't rate galaxy for bittering - it seems to produce a harshness that I don't like (and takes a while to subside). Again I would suggest using a cleaner hop like magnum for bittering then all galaxy for < 10 mins hop additions. One of my best sesssion beers is 30 ibu of magnum at 60 mins, then only 100gm of galaxy dry hop for 5 days (pellets). Best drunk young.

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:00 am

Barley Water wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 pm
Um...I disagree just a little (but respectfully) with the last post. Although I agree that any hop can handle the bittering chore, if you have brewing water with a high mineral content and use a high cohumolone hop, you increase the risk that the bittering will come off as harsh. Especially here in the States where it seems there is always an arms race to see how much hop somebody can cram into a beer, it can really mess things up if one is not careful. I like Warrior or Magnum as the bittering addition as you can avoid that problem with those two varieties in really bitter beers (APA's, American IPA's etc) plus as previously mentioned it keeps the volume of vegetal matter down (which can also bugger things up). I know many on these forums have read my rants about Chinook so I won't bore you with yet another epistle however that particular hop is high cohumolone (just one of the reasons I won't use it). As always, you mileage may vary. :D
If you're chasing IBU's (so last year :D ) rather than hop flavour and aroma you are right. The rebalancing towards flavour and aroma that NEIPA's have introduced is a welcome trend, it is this approach I had in mind. The OP wanted to effectively showcase Galaxy and that is best done in a "normal" IBU range, Chinook will work in this type of beer because the flavour and aroma hops are pushed later and in higher volume. The latter, even in the whirlpool/steep will impart bitterness so there is no need to front load that much (reducing harshness and "veg"), even a dry hop will give you some bitterness.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: