Christmas beer recipe suggestions please

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Christmas beer recipe suggestions please

Post by mrboxpiff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 am

Hi all, I know time is short, but I want to try and sneak in a quick spicy brew for Xmas. It seems that these brews are often dark heavy affairs, but my personal taste is for something a little lighter. I'm expecting to add things like cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise etc. Any suggestions or favs?

TIA

Mr boxpiff

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Re: Christmas beer recipe suggestions please

Post by wolfenrook » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:52 pm

mrboxpiff wrote:Hi all, I know time is short, but I want to try and sneak in a quick spicy brew for Xmas. It seems that these brews are often dark heavy affairs, but my personal taste is for something a little lighter. I'm expecting to add things like cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise etc. Any suggestions or favs?

TIA

Mr boxpiff

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Try a Saison spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg maybe?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 am

I did a christmas beer a couple of years ago. All i can say in my opinion is dont add cloves. Obviously just my taste but why you would want your beer to taste of medicine is beyond me :D

mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Post by mrboxpiff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:10 pm

chefgage wrote:I did a christmas beer a couple of years ago. All i can say in my opinion is dont add cloves. Obviously just my taste but why you would want your beer to taste of medicine is beyond me :D
Haha I totally agree, I personally hate cloves, reminds me of a visit to the dentist!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dene
Tippler

Post by Dene » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:17 am

Too late now, but for next year, brew a Patersbier (also known as Enkel and Singel) - a Belgian low ABV beer traditionally made from the second runnings of a Tripel.
Add a small amount of the fruit ingredients from the Christmas pudding. I scoop a large tablespoon's worth (for a half keg batch) and hold it aside until I'm ready to brew.

It's a great light Belgian ale with hints of Christmas. As an Aussie it's perfect. However, I also brew a clone of Gulden Draaks Dark ale and split it into two half kegs. One half gets a few tablespoons for the pudding fruit addition as well. I then keep them both fro the colder months here in Canberra, Australia. Perfect for those nights when it is abysmal outside and I want to feel the effects inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk