Pilsner Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Pilsner Recipe

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm not a lager drinker but the powers that be are asking me to brew something they might like rather than the highly hopped IPA's I'm after. I don't want to tie-up my brew fridge however - knowing these brews take longer than ale, so am looking for recommendations that can be brewed in a cool/cold garage but not with specific temperature control - I'm thinking wet towels etc when temperatures are forecasted to rise beyond a certain point.

I guess the yeast is the most important factor followed by the hops - I have my home grown Northdown, First Gold and some Fuggles and Cascade but guess none of these are suitable except, perhaps, for bittering.

I'm a BIAB’er hence will post this there as well.

Any suggestions?

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Pilsner Recipe

Post by keith1664 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 am

Could you get by with a faux lager, Pilsner malt and a noble hop fermented cool with a neutral ale, california common or kolsch yeast?
Having said that it's rather chilly in my garage at the moment so perhaps a real one.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Post by robbym123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:49 am

You could always brew as normal and then lager in the bottle. In a big bucket of iced water if the weather makes it necessary.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Can you get some Wyeast Pacman yeast? I brewed a pilsner with it at normal ale temp and it came out pretty good.
Check out the Last Drop piece in the March/April 2016 issue of Zymurgy.
I'm just here for the beer.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 am

keith1664 wrote:Could you get by with a faux lager, Pilsner malt and a noble hop fermented cool with a neutral ale, california common or kolsch yeast?
Having said that it's rather chilly in my garage at the moment so perhaps a real one.
^ I know a guy who is cleaning up in competitions with kolsch beers. Go for this

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:07 am

CML kolsch yeast is the go to lately for this type of brew.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 am

Kolsch yeast it is then - cheers guys