Something Dark for Christmas.

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Something Dark for Christmas.

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:55 pm

Yes Steve. Those are cheaper than the homebrew equivalent, but contain salt, so adjustment to the chloride content of your brewing liquor profile may be necessary. They seem to vary in price but recall paying 59p recently for 500g. Contents are printed on the side of the packet.

Lidl's Porridge Oats are cheap too and perfect in darker beers at modest amounts.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Yes Eric they where 59p in my local Lidl today , good point on the chloride addition they will make . Going to brew a Bitter next and had no flaked maize in stock so picked up a box today .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:40 pm

Yes, you can't knock the price. I tend to use sulphuric acid in place of some of the usual hydrochloric to rebalance the chloride for pales, but darker beers don't require compensation. I can't taste anything adverse from the extra sodium they supply in any beer.

Good luck with the brew, hope to get my bitter on in the next week. I always have at least one packet of cornflakes to hand, currently there are two, so £1.18 per kg.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

The_Antikveik
Tippler

Post by The_Antikveik » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:28 pm

Well executed, Eric. Great fermentation with a proper brewer's yeast, I"d say. I'm not a fan of lactose in beer, personally.