Graham Wheeler’s book and extract recipes.

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
NeilE1970
Steady Drinker

Re: Graham Wheeler’s book and extract recipes.

Post by NeilE1970 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:36 pm

Hi Trefoyl,
Yes I’ve come to the same conclusion. This topic is answered as far as I can see. It has now moved on to mini mashes and possibly additions of enzymes
amylase α and β and possibly glycoamylase. I foresee some reading in my near future.
I have a few questions that come to mind.
1. During the mash, is that when pretty much all of the starch conversion to glucose done.
2. Is it still happening at the time of pitching the yeast…or does it stop during cooling.
3. If using enzymes as additions one would assume that a time period the same as a mash would be required.

NeilE1970
Steady Drinker

Post by NeilE1970 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:47 pm

On further searching, I wasn’t sure what torrified wheat did, and it’s supposed to help in head retention. I have used carapils (which can be just steeped) before in some kits and the head retention was very good. Now whether it was down to that I’m not sure but I might try one of these recipes with carapils as a substitute.
I have seen differing views of whether carapils actually works for head retention but I’m happy to try it.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:57 pm

I’ve never added enzymes or know anyone that has, but most mashes are done at 66C for 60-90 minutes. You can mash out at 75-76C if you like which will denature the enzymes for a clearer runoff. More importantly the warmer temp will help dissolve the sugars. Do not steep grain much above 75C or tannins could be extracted.
Others here will tell you the proportions of 2 row you’ll need. 6 row has much more conversion power and even has a more robust husk to aid sparging, but is not as smooth tasting as 2 row.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:56 pm

NeilE1970 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:58 pm
So since I can get diastatic malt powder here can this be used to make a mini mash.
If so how much per litre would I need? Would it be a general answer of say 15g per litre. Or do the enzymes reproduce during mashing?
Diastatic malt, either dried or liquid will do the job well. I wouldn't have a clue regarding the amount to use though. The enzymes won't reproduce during the mash.
I wouldn't necessarily abandon the idea of doing a mini mash. The work involved due to the smaller amount of grain/adjuncts is but a fraction of a full mash and the gain from it can be significant

Cheers Tom

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:24 am

NeilE1970 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:58 pm
So since I can get diastatic malt powder here can this be used to make a mini mash.
If so how much per litre would I need? Would it be a general answer of say 15g per litre. Or do the enzymes reproduce during mashing?
Sorry for possibly daft questions. At least I’m learning that’s the main thing.
50-60% of the total ingredients needs to be malted barley. This will give you enough enzyme to convert everything else.

Easy maths. Add up all the other grains and add that amount of barley (at least)

Just a thought.. The smaller the mash the harder it is the maintain a constant temperature. Particularly stove top. What volume are you thinking?