Suggestions for Cherry Beer Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:51 pm

There's a cherry tree in our garden which is huge and have been told produces masses of morello cherries, so thought I'd have a go at making a cherry beer, but am unsure as to what to make and am looking for some BIAB recipe advice. Something with maris otter would be great, as I have quite a lot I'd like to use before it goes stale.

Also, unfortunately I no longer have any temperature control and I don't have the freezer space to store the amount of fruit I'd need until autumn, so given its ability to ferment out fairly quickly and tolerance to heat, I was thinking of using a kveik. Does anyone have any suggestions for a strain?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:08 pm

If you don’t mind ordering some yeast (and probably a cheap de-stoner to make life easier) you could always make Sarah Pantry’s National Homebrew 2017 BOS:

https://daftcatbrewing.com/sour-cherrie ... -day-beer/

https://www.theyeastbay.com/sour-cherries

As you can see though, it takes 5kg cherries in a 20L batch! Okay if you have access to a tree but very expensive if you are buying at standard supermarket prices; IIRC correctly Sarah got them cheap when there was a glut and then got a bit of a shock when she looked to re-brew it.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Re: Suggestions for Cherry Beer Recipe

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:52 pm

Thanks foob4r. I'll take a look.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Re: Suggestions for Cherry Beer Recipe

Post by Northern Brewer » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:44 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:08 pm
As you can see though, it takes 5kg cherries in a 20L batch!
250g/l is nothing, some krieks can go up to 400g/l - but they are using the traditional Schaarbeekse variety of morello which isn't much good for anything else as it has a big pip and so not much flesh.