Help me lighten my mash tun

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
man_beach
Steady Drinker

Re: Help me lighten my mash tun

Post by man_beach » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:51 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:44 am
man_beach wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:42 pm
I've been brewing for 25 years and have always used a 'picnic cooler' mash tun. Recently I've been having a problem with arthritis and just don't have the strength that I used to have. I have to get my wife to help me lift the picnic cooler onto the kitchen worktop to drain off the wort!
Silly question maybe? Why not fill it on the kitchen table? Why does it have to be on the floor?

If its too high perhaps sit it on a chair. Or use a simple step. Fill with a jug or a bit of hose.

I can't help but think a practical solution will be easier for you.

This is coming from a sympathetic perspective, as I have had to "change my ways" too recently. After a few visits to the osteopath.
Maybe because I've always done it that way? Boiler with hot water on the worktop, mash tun on the floor. Pour the required amount of water into the mash tun, get it to the required strike temperature, add the grains (while my wife stirs). I think we'd both have to stand on chairs if it was on the kitchen table.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Help me lighten my mash tun

Post by MashBag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:49 pm

Easier then.
Ditch the boiler. Mash tun on table.
Hot fill from the hot water tap (used to do this a lot) with a silicone hose.
Adjust to strike temp with a leccy kettle.

That said, I would like to see you discussing the RSJ kitchen ceiling fit out for IPA's hoist. 🤣