How much Caramel ??

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
ndytskr16
Sober

How much Caramel ??

Post by ndytskr16 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:23 am

Hi guys,

I am trying to make a clone of 'Marstons Merrie Monk Mild' long since discontinued.

Rumors say it was Marstons Pedigree Bitter with Caramel in to darken it.

Could anybody tell me how much Caramel I should add please?

Cheers
Andy

IPA
Under the Table

Re: How much Caramel ??

Post by IPA » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:13 am

ndytskr16 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:23 am
Hi guys,

I am trying to make a clone of 'Marstons Merrie Monk Mild' long since discontinued.

Cheers
Andy
You can use black malt instead. Using caramel imparts an off taste. As to the recipe I doubt it was as strong as Pedigree.
I suggest that you brew Pedigree to 3.4% and add the required amount off black malt to get the colour
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:22 am

Good shout.
You could even steep the black malt separately and add it gradually into the fv.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:07 pm

It has been common practice by British commercial brewers to add caramel to a pale beer and name it XYZ Mild.

https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/wp-conte ... v-4-CD.pdf

From the above datasheet it can be derived that 6ml of their caramel (also sold by Brewpaks) in 10 litres of beer will increase colour by 20 EBC.

I have used caramel to good effect, it can alter the character of the beer if used in larger quantities, but not necessarily in a disappointing way. My latest 30 litres of Mild used 100g Black Malt for extra colour, but it also had 3 other dark malts, so wasn't totally responsible for the final colour. In the past I found some Black Malts adding taste I didn't wish to have, but maybe today that has changed as the range of beer flavours changes by demand and marketing.

From Simpsons website.
Our Black Malt is excellent for darkening beer colour without imparting too much astringency or roast characteristics. The flavour is surprisingly neutral, with a clean dryness that makes it an incredibly versatile product.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:58 pm

IPA wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:13 am
ndytskr16 wrote:
Hi guys,

Cheers
Andy
You can use black malt instead. Using caramel imparts an off taste. As to the recipe I doubt it was as strong as Pedigree.
I suggest that you brew Pedigree to 3.4% and add the required amount off black malt to get the colour
Brewers caramel doesn't impart any taste at all, if you can get hold of it, although not may home brew supplier's stock it (I've been trying to get hold of some for ages, but the only places I can find that have it don't have anything else I want so postage makes it very expensive. I might just have to suck it up)

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:35 pm

Marshbrewer wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:58 pm
IPA wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:13 am
ndytskr16 wrote:
Hi guys,

Cheers
Andy
Brewers caramel doesn't impart any taste at all, if you can get hold of it, although not may home brew supplier's stock it (I've been trying to get hold of some for ages, but the only places I can find that have it don't have anything else I want so postage makes it very expensive. I might just have to suck it up)
I wonder how different brewer's caramel is to gravy browning, which is also caramel and doesn't add flavour.
Richard M
Cardiff

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:27 pm

I had the same thought!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 am

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that they are one and the same.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:27 pm

I used to think that, but then I read somewhere that it's slightly different, in that it won't drop out of suspension. I did colour a historic brown ale recipe with gravy browning a few years ago , and it was completely fine in terms of not adding any taste component and coloured it up perfectly, but it did seem to gradually come out of suspension. Unfortunately, I drank it all before I could see of this was an issue over time. I'll see if I can dig out the article suggesting the difference.

I think if I were colouring up a mild or something that was going to be consumed quite quickly, I'd be happy to use gravy browning.

ARNWD
Tippler

Post by ARNWD » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:04 am

Gravy Browning - now sold as "Sarsons Rich & Dark Browning Colour" Morrisons and ASDA stock it.

I have some here and it does say on the back label "Home Brewed Beer" with some made up doseage amount. I have used it as Eric suggests for "Brupaks Brewers Caramel Liquid" ie 6mls/10 litre for 20 EBC's.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:36 am

Good spot that man.
Screenshot_20240128-073856_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240128-073856_Google.jpg (451.99 KiB) Viewed 534 times