Co2 in keg

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dylanharrison85

Co2 in keg

Post by dylanharrison85 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi all when I bought my brew kit it come with a couple of co2 bulbs and the cap and thing the bulbs go in too . question is when you screw the co2 bulb in does it then stay in and go into the barrel automatically when the pressure drops or do you remove the bulb and holder once primed with co2

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Re: Co2 in keg

Post by Nitro Jim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 am

Possibly posted in the wrong area and therefore the reason for the lack of replies...

I presume you are talking about a basic pressure barrel in which case you are replacing a vacuum or air. CO2is heavier than air so will naturally be replaced in the bulb by air. If the barrel was already pressurised and you tried to add more CO2 then the PRV would vent any excess out and the bulb would have a small amount of gas remaining.

Conclusion: Once the seal is broken on the bulb you can leave for a few seconds and it can then be removed.
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

dylanharrison85

Post by dylanharrison85 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:55 am

Yes i was talking about a standard keg which come as a kit with the co2 pressure valve kit too. I see right and as I understand it it will vent if too much gas is in the barrel .so if need co2 apply it with the special green thing and a bulb . and how will I know if I need it

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:15 am

Depends...
If you have primed the beer in the barrel then as you sup the ale you will be creating a vacuum in the barrel which will possibly be replaced by some CO2 coming out of suspension. If you like your beer flat then you can loosen the cap and the vacuum will be replaced by air and you can continue to dispense. However if you like your beer with some head then you need to keep some CO2 in suspension and you do this by pressuring the barrel with your bulbs. A lot depends on your preference and how quickly you aim on emptying the barrel. If you do use the bulbs turn your tap slowly and/or get a piece of tube on it which reaches the bottom of your drinking vessel.
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:30 am

Depends on how you prime but for me I find I have to add co2 about two thirds of the way down the keg. If you hear a glug of air going back through the tap when dispensing then definitely add co2 to pressure it and prevent this as it's not good for the beer, if you are drinking it very quickly that may not be a problem.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:25 pm

add the co2 when the pour starts to slow and before the 'glug of death' letting air glug back into the PB will oxidise the beer and reduce its shelf life to a few days.. (its a pressure barrel not a keg, kegs are generally made from stainless steel or ally and take a significantly higher pressure)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

dylanharrison85

Post by dylanharrison85 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Great thanks for your reply its not ready yet so I will add as I drink in a couple of weeks