Adapted Kit Recipes.

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
Titanium Tone

Adapted Kit Recipes.

Post by Titanium Tone » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi everyone
After reading the post (Is it frowned upon?). I wondered if any members would be kind enough to share there adapted kit recipes. I have only been brewing kits again for about 6 months and have had great success. But when i read the forum i think how nice it would be to experiment but as i have no knowledge of what to do i was hoping members might share there tried and tested adaptations i feel sure i am not the only member thinking this any help would be much appreciated. TT.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Adapted Kit Recipes.

Post by WishboneBrewery » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:53 pm

I'd agree, a 'Sticky' thread full of Adapted kit recipes that worked well would be great.

I'm thinking of adding more hops and spray malt to a cheap Bitter kit next, or trying to do a hoppy golden Ale type thing with 'Muntons Premium Gold Midas Touch' or 'Brupaks Fixby Gold' ... though I'll probably go for the Cheap kit first.

KevP

Post by KevP » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:56 pm

I think a 'sticky' of provenadapted kits and simple extract would be a great idea for the kit forum, especially as kit brewing has received some very negative comments of late from those moved onto AG.

sam c

Post by sam c » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Titanium Tone wrote:Hi everyone
After reading the post (Is it frowned upon?). I wondered if any members would be kind enough to share there adapted kit recipes. I have only been brewing kits again for about 6 months and have had great success. But when i read the forum i think how nice it would be to experiment but as i have no knowledge of what to do i was hoping members might share there tried and tested adaptations i feel sure i am not the only member thinking this any help would be much appreciated. TT.
have a look at this http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 61#p220803

im thinking of maybe doing this sometime. i ve only done a couple of kits which turned out ok but it would be great to make something a little bettre and more personal without buying any other kit like boilers and so on. a adapted kit recipie sticky is a great idea.

Link above fixed by moderator.

You don't really want to start adding grains and alter the colour or flavour otherwise you'll start moving away from a pale ale towards a bitter (not that there is much difference really) but it doesn't need it, you you could add hops though. Goldings, fuggles or challenger are probably the best for an IPA, boil 20g or so for 10 mins in a few litres of water with 50g of spray malt added then after 10 mins switch of the heat and add another 20g and allow them to steep for 10-20 mins. Strain through a spotlessly clean and thoroughly sanitised colander into the fermenter.

If you want to make the beer stronger shorten the brew length.

(i'd add 1kg of pale spray malt to the tin of extract rather than the 500g dme and 300g dextrose in the instructions)

Watch the temperature when you pitch the yeast. Use less boiling water than the instructions suggest to offset the hot hoppy wort you are adding or use the hoppy wort to rinse out the tins. Take care with your sanitiation also.

chopperswookie

Post by chopperswookie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 pm

1 can of Geordie bitter kit
1 packet of Beer kit Enhancer
200g Crystal Malt (steeped in a muslin bag for about 30 mins at 60-70 degrees. use the water rinsed out of the can)
60g Goldings steeped for about 20 mins, sparge, add to the firming bin, top up to 38 pints

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Very simple with great results. works well with Woodforde's Great Eastern or Fixby Gold. If using Fixby Gold, I would bin the hop bag included in the kit, they smell stale to me.

Put about 35g Cascade hops in one of your empty tins, fill with boiling water and leave to steep for 15-20 mins then strain into your brew. I did the same with a Wherry kit but used Goldings. Styrian Goldings would be good too.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

THE EMBALMER

Post by THE EMBALMER » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:48 pm

i have purchased a coopers(of course) real ale kit ,light spray malt and some goldings hops.
not sure if the kit needs any extra or should i keep the hops for a geordie kit experiment??
what would be the best way of using the hops with either of these kits?
cheers glyn

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:04 pm

You can use the hops as described above. I can't comment on your DME additions as I never did any coopers kits. I did use about 60g DME to prime a Wherry though; gave it a nice malty aftertaste.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Titanium Tone

Post by Titanium Tone » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm

Well thanks to all those who showed an intrest. Come on members there must be more of you with recipes please post you never know us kit makers could be tempted to move over to the darkside or should i say shiny side. All recipes welcome. :beer: :beer:

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Have a look at my signature below. The adaptation is in bottles conditioning. I've only had the sample used for gravity testing, but they were GREAT! =P~

As time has gone by I've had to amend my signature, so the recipe has gone. However, for those that would like to try it;

1 can Coopers Draught
1kg light DME
15g Challenger hops, 40 min boil
20g Goldings hops, 20 min boil
15g dry elderflower, 20 min boil
15g Goldings hops, 30 min steep
Yeast - Safale S-04

Fermented for 2 weeks, bottle conditioned for 4 weeks. Abso-bl@@dy-lutely marvellous end result. Lovely big hop effect with a slightly floral note in there. Next time I may increase the elderflower. But, very well worth the effort.
Last edited by RichardG on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Titanium Tone

Post by Titanium Tone » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Richard great start lets hope we get some more.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm

*ahem!* :roll:

Titanium Tone

Post by Titanium Tone » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:49 pm

I agree. Maybe another time. RIP. :(

chopperswookie

Post by chopperswookie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:33 am

had an idea. not tried it out but here goes -

300g maris otter (steeped 65-70' half and hour or so)
Geordie Lager kit
60g Styrian Goldings (boiled 20 mins)
15g Saaz (5mins for aroma)

put it all in the ferming bin with some decent lager yeast.

(forum members i just thought of that after thinking and having hopped a geordie with styrians last year with a really good result i thought i'd use styrians as a base. maybe swapping the maris with a 'lager malt'. work in progress any suggestions greatfully received)

clootie

Post by clootie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:14 pm

Just spotted this post and It fits with something I was thinking of doing. I have a Brewbuddy bitter kit nearing its sell by and I was thinking of making it up to 4 gallons rather than 5 , made up with 1kg of sugar and approx 300g of extract I have lying around plus adding some extra fuggles. It should be a strong hop monster but can't be any worse than its twin which I did last year (2 for 1 deal) which was dissapointing. I'll let you know how it goes. As I am moving to AG this will be my last kit. Better to experiment than to make 40 points of crap or worse still to toss the kit for being out of date.