Coffee Porter completed

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
Liverpool-Lad

Coffee Porter completed

Post by Liverpool-Lad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:56 pm

A little experiment this one after using up some left over ingredients. Recipe was

1 can Wilko stout
1 can Sweet Newky Brown
1kg medium DME
quarter tin treacle

OG 1064 - FG around 1024, no dextrose.

Racked to secondary. Added 4oz cocoa nibs after soaking in vodka for 24 hours, and 8oz (dry weight) cold brewed high quality coffee soaked for 24 hours and passed through a filter.

Even just after bottling, the overall richness and coffee taste is great, well worth a shot for anything out there. My best brew yet.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Coffee Porter completed

Post by Jim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Sounds like a corker! 8)

A great example of what you can do with kits!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Liverpool-Lad

Post by Liverpool-Lad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Cheers Jim!

tazzymutt

Post by tazzymutt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Sounds like an interesting brew; be sure to let us know how the coffee flavour works out as the brew ages. Does it get stronger or mellow over time?

Did you use the kit yeasts? Both of them? Or something else? This sounds like something I might be tempted to brew and lay down for next winter.

Happy brewing,

Ian.

Liverpool-Lad

Post by Liverpool-Lad » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Kit yeasts, just combined them really. Good point, I think it may fade a little over time.

Belcher

Post by Belcher » Wed May 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Inspired by Liverpool-Lad, I took it upon myself to create a variation of his recipe. Brewed on Monday I topped her up to 17 liters with the intention of bringing it up to 20 liters later as my fv is on the small side and I was a bit worried about a possible krausen explosion.

Modifications included using a 1# jar of H&B Dark LME, 700 g's of brewkit enhancer, 500 g's of demerara and about 200g of molasses.

However I am toying with the idea of keeping it at 17 liters and bottle conditioning it until the fall. The starting gravity is 1.083 and with an estimated attenuation of 75% I'd expect abv to be a shade over 8%. I rehydrated a 11g gervin yeast and a 6g kit yeast and it really took off within a couple of hours of pitching. I took the extra step with the yeast because my last wilko kit got stuck midway through fermentation which I was able to restart only by adding more dextrose.

I was toying with the idea of using some dark chocolate (Lindt's 90%), cold steeped coffee, and a couple of vanilla beans for good measure, which will be added two weeks into primary. 8 oz of coffee seems quite a bit from reading other forums. L-Lad, did you find that amount of coffee overpowering?

naturals

Post by naturals » Thu May 08, 2014 9:50 am

Liverpool-Lad wrote:A little experiment this one after using up some left over ingredients. Recipe was

1 can Wilko stout
1 can Sweet Newky Brown
1kg medium DME
quarter tin treacle

OG 1064 - FG around 1024, no dextrose.

Racked to secondary. Added 4oz cocoa nibs after soaking in vodka for 24 hours, and 8oz (dry weight) cold brewed high quality coffee soaked for 24 hours and passed through a filter.

Even just after bottling, the overall richness and coffee taste is great, well worth a shot for anything out there. My best brew yet.
How did this turn out? I just brewed a 23L AG batch with a similar amount of coffee in it. I know the flavour will weaken with age (and I'm planning on aging it for a good few months) but at the minute you can taste nothing but coffee.

SiMania

Post by SiMania » Thu May 08, 2014 8:39 pm

What hops are in it?

Belcher

Post by Belcher » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Gosh darn this choco/coffee porter is going to shape up well. I bought some dutched cocoa from Lidl (2 x 200g's for £2) and added about 100g's in along with 50 g's of a Lindt bar and about 1/2 liter of strong coffee. It was a shade too bitter so I back sweetened it with about 5 tbs of Splenda just to temper the cocoa. I didn't want to brew a 'kitchen sink' recipe but since I am quite fond of the Old Peculier's hints of licorice I primed with 4 tablespoons of treacle and 2 tablespoons of sugar for the added complexity. I'm no beer connoisseur but I think this will be a nice treat. As a side note, I'm not overly impressed with Wilko's Newkie Brown kit but adding it to the stout plus the other adjuncts seems to have worked out well.

Liverpool-Lad

Post by Liverpool-Lad » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:28 am

Slightly late reply but no, half a pound of cold brewed ground coffee was just about right. The flavour does fade a bit over time!

Ill do it next time to perhaps 16L to get more punch in! The nibs are worth doing too.