Coopers Australia Pale ale hack

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
griff777

Coopers Australia Pale ale hack

Post by griff777 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:26 pm

First post but I've been a long time lurker. Been brewing a little over a year and the below is my 8th brew and I'd like some advice with dry hopping.
So I brewed the below about a two weeks ago and it was my first time using grains
Steeped 250g carapils and 100 g crystal for 30 mins.
Added 500g light DME and brought up to the boil.
Then decided to add 25g of both citra and cascade to the mix at 15 mins.
Added the kit, 600g DME and the mix from above to FV and topped up to 20litres.
Pitched at 20c and OG 1045. Will leave it for 2/3 weeks depending on gravity readings and clarity.

So took a gravity reading yesterday and I think it has bottomed out at 1008 and I tasted the sample. It had pretty up front bitter hit, somewhere between an American Pale Ale and and American IPA. Maybe a little too bitter for the style but pleasant all the same. Next time I would reduce the boil times or quantities of hops I think. It's nice but I'm wondering what way to dry hop it next week. I have about 30g of Cascade and 75g of Citra. I was thinking of adding 20g Citra & Cascade with 6 days to bottling and then adding in another 20g of Citra with 3 days to bottling. I would like a nice full flavoured hoppy ale although I'm conscious of the fact that there is not alot of malt to balance out the hops so afraid of going to far with them.

Anyone have any advice on a dry hopping schedule for this week? Cheers

griff777

Re: Coopers Australia Pale ale hack

Post by griff777 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:41 pm

So I'm now thinking of 50g of Citra for 6 days and 25g of Cascade for 3days. Anyone any thoughts or ever do something like this? Thanks

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue May 06, 2014 8:52 pm

The bitterness you first taste will subdue slightly as it ages (my last Golden Ale was a little too bitter at xmas, but over the last month of supping it has become a loverly rounded flavour)

Personally I would only dry hop with citra as you are really only adding aroma (50g all in at the start of dry hop time) and keep your cascade for bittering on another brew.

griff777

Post by griff777 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Cheers Geezah, think a Citra hop only will showcase them a bit more. Great idea. Really looking forward to how this matures if, as you say the bitterness will mellow.