Coopers Stout brewing this evening

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
Hengoedbrewer

Coopers Stout brewing this evening

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sat May 10, 2014 10:47 am

Hi all

This evening I'm going to move my Evil Dog double IPA (been in bottles in warm for 2 weeks) to outside storage to cool condition, AND put on brew number 4- Coopers Stout with some extras. I'm thinking of

- 1 x coopers stout
- 1 kg of medium DME
-1 x 454g tin of black treacle
and then either 300g of dark muscovado or 300g of demerera sugar. I'm looking for an ABV of about 5% and will be brewing short to either 20 but probably 18 litres.

As I'm still relatively new to this does anyone have any comments on this recipe?

Much appreciated

Craig

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Coopers Stout brewing this evening

Post by 6470zzy » Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 am

Looks as though you might want to give this thread a read
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31569 :beer:
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sat May 10, 2014 11:44 am

6470zzy wrote:Looks as though you might want to give this thread a read
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31569 :beer:
Hi 0zzy

I have actually read most of that thread, but a long time ago- Ditch's stout is legend... I was just looking for a quick reply really or even a "DON'T USE ALL THOSE SUGARS" or whatever...... and it won't be a "true" Ditch's as I'm going to bottle mine and will be using my own elbow grease and not a power drill to stir!! Thank you though.

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:11 pm

That being said, I would leave out the sugar and add some more spray-malt in its place
Cheers
Oscar Wilde

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sat May 10, 2014 12:21 pm

6470zzy wrote:That being said, I would leave out the sugar and add some more spray-malt in its place
Cheers
Thanks again....no additional spray malt available if I am doing it this evening....only got the 2 bags in! Just do the treacle and DME you reckon then? if it doesn't get to 5% with that it's fine, taste is more imporant and something 4% ish will be a nice session beer I guess.

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:37 pm

That is the way that I would go as you haven't any more spray=malt :beer:
Oscar Wilde

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sat May 10, 2014 12:40 pm

6470zzy wrote:That is the way that I would go as you haven't any more spray=malt :beer:
Will do and I'll have more spray malt on hand next time if I find just the kilo isn't enough!!

Cheers mate!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Hengoedbrewer wrote:Hi all
This evening I'm going to move my Evil Dog double IPA (been in bottles in warm for 2 weeks) to outside storage to cool condition, AND put on brew number 4- Coopers Stout with some extras. I'm thinking of

- 1 x coopers stout
- 1 kg of medium DME
and then either 300g of dark muscovado or 300g of demerera sugar. I'm looking for an ABV of about 5% and will be brewing short to either 20 but probably 18 litres.
As I'm still relatively new to this does anyone have any comments on this recipe?
Much appreciated
Craig
Hello HB,
I know it`s probably too late now but my last Coopers Stout was made like this......To 18Lts
1 Can Coopers Stout
2 Mugs Brown Sugar
1Kg Dark Spraymalt
OG @ 21deg 1058 FG 1012 ABV 6.3%
Dry Hopped half the brew on day 7 with 25gr Sylva Hops. Beautiful Taste!
WA

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Sun May 11, 2014 8:31 am

WalesAles wrote:
Hengoedbrewer wrote:Hi all

- 1 x coopers stout
- 1 kg of medium DME
Much appreciated
Craig
Hello HB,
I know it`s probably too late now but my last Coopers Stout was made like this......To 18Lts
1 Can Coopers Stout
2 Mugs Brown Sugar
1Kg Dark Spraymalt
OG @ 21deg 1058 FG 1012 ABV 6.3%
Dry Hopped half the brew on day 7 with 25gr Sylva Hops. Beautiful Taste!
WA
Hi WA! Thanks for that- brewed up last night and had a bit of a nightmare with this one to be honest :oops: Had the extract everywhere due to a tin incident, and then when I checked temp just before pitching yeast it was much lower than I was expecting- possibly as some of the bottled water I was using to brew had been in the fridge overnight?? I managed to pitch at 18.3 degrees by using some warm water from the kettle in the end- I hope I've not done any damage as had been looking forward to this one for ages!! Anyway the sample jar tasted fine and the OG was 1046 which seems about right....now tucked away in cupboard under stairs at about 23deg in a water bath, made up to about 19 litres.

I'll bear your recipe in mind as if I like the more or less basic recipe I have lots of plans for this kit in future goes (possible addition of cacao nibs, bottling some with chocolate / some with coffee extract, just for 2...) I'm a big fan of dark beers and love porters so always on the look out that sort of stuff! I've added supplied hops with a Festival Porter Kit, and with an Evil Dog IPA kit which has been bottled for 2 weeks and at the moment has heavy alcohol in the taste more than anything else #-o so I should learn more about hopping really...

Cheers
Craig

Deebee
Even further under the Table

Post by Deebee » Mon May 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi.

Based on all the reading from the legens thread... as well as seeing what mosts dark worts ferment like.... i am guessing that at this time you have either been killed by the other half for destroying carpet, curtains ( name your item really), consumed by the stout blob, or are fighting the bleeder back with a stick....
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

Hengoedbrewer

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Mon May 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Deebee wrote:Hi.

Based on all the reading from the legens thread... as well as seeing what mosts dark worts ferment like.... i am guessing that at this time you have either been killed by the other half for destroying carpet, curtains ( name your item really), consumed by the stout blob, or are fighting the bleeder back with a stick....
=D> fortunately enough Deebee...

1. I brew in a cupboard in which no valuables are stored
2, I brewed when I did as she was away all weekend and therefore could not see the mess I made of the kitchen
3. Brewing as short as I did seems to have avoided the spew (though even at 18ltrs the head is still at the top of the fv!!)

Brewings great

Belcher

Post by Belcher » Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 pm

I just finished a similar brew yesterday but used a Wilko Velvet Stout kit. As its only 1.5 kg I short brewed to 15 liters. I used 1 (1 lb) jar of H&B malt extract, 350 g of Brewkit Enhancer and about 250g of demerara. I'm pretty new to this great hobby and in my enthusiasm I overbought on the BKE in the Wilko sale so I'm probably using an inordinate amount to work down my supply. I hate waste so hopefully I can sink it in future beers by fortifying it with lme or dme.

Anyway its happy bubbling away in the FV with an og of 1.062. I've heard mainly positive reviews about this kit and good things about Ditch's no drama method so I'm confident that this turns out well. Hopefully the stout is better than the Wilko Newkie Brown which is a bit of a dog to be honest.