BKE differences

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
Exiled Bradfordian

BKE differences

Post by Exiled Bradfordian » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:15 pm

I recently ordered a couple of kits from Tesco Direct along with 2kg of BKE (I know, I know, I should use DME, but they didn't have any and this was only £3.75 a bag). The BKE is supplied by Youngs, but when I've made kits up before I've always used Geordie/Muntons BKE, for the sole reason that's what Wilko sells.

The ingredients on both the Youngs and Muntons bags are identical: 50/50 dextrose/DME, but as far as I understand it malt is not malt - that is to say, there are differences in types of malt (as can be evidenced by extra light, light, medium, dark and extra dark DME and LME, and no doubt variances within different brands of, say, light DME).

So I wondered this: has anyone experienced any appreciable difference between different brands of BKE, or for that matter, different brands of DME or LME?

When reading around one will often read "use Light DME" but will rarely specify a brand. Is that a consequence of them all being much of a muchness, or more a result of the UK being woefully underserved by brewshops, and resignation to not having the choice available?

I did have one other question but it's hidden away in my "Newbie Questions" thread so I may as well ask it here:
Serious question (don't laugh)

Is this stuff:

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductVie ... lt+extract

the same or similar to the Liquid Malt Extract we use for brewing and can it be used for brewing?

Seems a lot cheaper than buying from homebrew-related suppliers

Cheers!
Hope we're all enjoying the weekend!

Jim
Site Admin

Re: BKE differences

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 am

I can't imagine there being that much difference between different makes to be honest (though I've never used BKE with a kit as it didn't exist as a product in my kit days).

I'll shift this to the Enhancing Beer Kits forum to see if you get a more meaningful reply.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

twentyfootwilf

Re: BKE differences

Post by twentyfootwilf » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Only just picked up on this. Can't say for certain but I guess that most BKE is a 50/50 split dex/ malt extract. I would also think the malt content would be light dried malt extract, but even if you were to get one with a darker malt in it I doubt it would make a noticeable difference apart from a slightly and I mean slightly darker brew. I rarely buy the BKE as a made up pack as I think it works out cheaper to use malt and other fermentables separately. Also I rarely use as much as 500g of dextrose, but even when I have I think it's cheaper to buy separately. Coopers BKE is slightly different as they use dextrose, malt and maltodextrin in varying proportions. Regarding your question about malt extract bought from Waitrose and other retailers not specifically for home brewing all I can say is I have had some excellent results using Holland and Barret malt extract in 454g (1lb) jars. This is very economical if they have one of their offers on such as buy one get one half price. After all any malt extract is going to be preferable to plain old sugar. Are you still reading? Wow you have some stamina :D