Beer kits and essences

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
Markh1968

Beer kits and essences

Post by Markh1968 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 am

Hi all
I have been doing beer kits mainly Coopers for about 3years with great success with basic equipment
I was wondering could you add a Coconut essence of sort
The ones you get from a supermarket
To give a small flavouring to brew if you can how much and when during wort or whence bottling?
Many thanks
Markh

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Beer kits and essences

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:13 am

Welcome to the forum Mark. :)

I'll move this to the 'Enhancing Beer Kits' forum as you're more likely to get an answer there.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Belcher

Post by Belcher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:43 am

I've not tried this but a couple of ideas. One is to take a beer and slowly add the essence as you drink it until you are happy with the flavor profile. From there you scale it up. For example, if you figured 2 ml of essence in a 500 ml bottle is agreeable then for a 20 liter batch you'd add 80 ml (2 ml * 40 bottles).

Alternately draw a gallon of your beer into a 1 gallon demijohn and add the essence to that so that you are not risking the entire batch. Let it ferment and bottle as normal. If you are happy then do a full batch. A 1 gallon spring water bottle from the supermarkets can be substituted for a 1 gallon demijohn inexpensively.

I'm sure others may have some other ideas but these are off the top of my head.

pwebster

Post by pwebster » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 pm

on the same subject here about adding essences to beer kits, I have a Top Shelf Rum essence 50ml sample here. Is this stuff ok to add to the fermenter?

Ingredients indicate Natural and artificial flavours, caramel and propylene glycol. Cant imagine there is much to ferment in there but would be keen to get the rum flavour into my beer.

cheers

Pete

cellone

Post by cellone » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:40 am

Is an essence better than an extract for brewing?

I prefer using extract for cooking.

Reduce a bottle of Remi and add that to the ferment. 8)

Edit: or your rum of choice.