Sundew Split

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Sundew Split

Post by Monkeybrew » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:53 am

Mrs Monkeybrew has clearly taken note of my hints, because she bought me Woodfordes Sundew kit as part of an anniversary pressie =D>

The Sundew is very bland (IMO) when brewed to 23L, so I'm going to brew one can at a time and add DME and a few* hops to each brew, because the blandness of this kit makes for a great base for enhancing :twisted:

Coopers APA is also well known as a great kit for tweaking, but you have to commit to a larger brewlength, but when splitting a 2 can kit, I love the fact that I'll end up with 2 different brews.

Initially I'm thinking an American APA (Summit or Apollo) for one brew, and an English IPA (First Gold) for the other.

I'll probably use the kit yeast for the IPA, and Nottingham for the APA.

*normally means lots #ELC

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Sundew Split

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Monkeybrew wrote:Mrs Monkeybrew has clearly taken note of my hints, because she bought me Woodfordes Sundew kit as part of an anniversary pressie =D>

The Sundew is very bland (IMO) when brewed to 23L, so I'm going to brew one can at a time and add DME and a few* hops to each brew, because the blandness of this kit makes for a great base for enhancing :twisted:

Coopers APA is also well known as a great kit for tweaking, but you have to commit to a larger brewlength, but when splitting a 2 can kit, I love the fact that I'll end up with 2 different brews.

Initially I'm thinking an American APA (Summit or Apollo) for one brew, and an English IPA (First Gold) for the other.

I'll probably use the kit yeast for the IPA, and Nottingham for the APA.

*normally means lots #ELC

Cheers

MB
MB,
How many Hops? Yeah, I know, how long is a piece of string! :D
WA

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:53 pm

This kit has been on my radar as one to potentially do whilst I am away on holiday. Why did you choose those hops out of interest MB?

Monkeybrew

Post by Monkeybrew » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Manngold wrote:This kit has been on my radar as one to potentially do whilst I am away on holiday. Why did you choose those hops out of interest MB?
Hi MG

I have basicaly got quite alot of different hops in my freezer :oops:, so have just chosen from them.

I've brewed with Apollo before and they are awesome, and I read that Summit are powerful too.

I am keen to try the First Gold hops, as I plan on growing some in my garden next year, so am keen to see what they taste like.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:

On Tap:

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Monkeybrew wrote: I've brewed with Apollo before and they are awesome, and I read that Summit are powerful too.

MB
If you have any Columbus they pair very well with Summit. I have been doing minimashes to bolster the Coopers kits of late and adding 2 oz of Summit and and 1 oz of Columbus (or vice versa) at flameout and then bunging the whole lot into the FV for about a 16L brew.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Monkeybrew

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:01 am

How does this sound?

Sumdew APA - 12.5L

1 x 1.5kg can of Woodfordes Sundew
300g of Light DME
10g of Summit Pellets 15.50% AA @10mins
15g of Summit Pellets 15.50% AA @0mins
25g of Summit Pellets 15.50% AA Dry Hop
Kit yeast @19C

Estimated OG - 1.044
Estimated EBU - 37

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:

On Tap:

twentyfootwilf

Post by twentyfootwilf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Did you do that last brew? What was the brew length? I bought a Wilko Golden Ale in their sale for £12 odd, I assume it's similar to Sundew being made by Muntons. I used one can with a Coopers Aussie lager by way of trying to turn a lager into a pale ale. And I've got the other can left to come up with a tweak for. Going back next week when I get paid in the hope the sales still on. I really need to get brewing, it's the first time in 5. years I've run out of home brew. Something to do with the World Cup and bad planning.

Monkeybrew

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:01 pm

twentyfootwilf wrote:Did you do that last brew? What was the brew length? I bought a Wilko Golden Ale in their sale for £12 odd, I assume it's similar to Sundew being made by Muntons. I used one can with a Coopers Aussie lager by way of trying to turn a lager into a pale ale. And I've got the other can left to come up with a tweak for. Going back next week when I get paid in the hope the sales still on. I really need to get brewing, it's the first time in 5. years I've run out of home brew. Something to do with the World Cup and bad planning.
I haven't brewed the Sundew APA yet, as I managed to get another AG brew on!

The brewlength for the Summit Sundew will be 12.5L.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:

On Tap: