Adding cocoa nibs to Coopers Stout Kit

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
northernbeermonkey

Adding cocoa nibs to Coopers Stout Kit

Post by northernbeermonkey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Hello,

I am a relatively novice home brewer and am seeking advice on how to add cocoa nibs to a Coopers stout kit.

I understand from previous posts that it is recommended to add cocoa nibs soaked in vodka (to sanitise them) to secondary fermentation but what I don't know is how much to add, how to add, for e.g. should I put the pre-soaked nibs in a muslin bag so it doesn't clog up my keg? and how long should I leave them in the keg for? How much vodka should I use and do I add the vodka to the keg?

Also, how long should I soak the nibs in vodka for first?

I made my beer last Thursday and it is 23litres.It is the basic Coopers kit with 1kg brewing sugar and I added around 110g of chocolate malt that has been boiled (for 5 minutes) and strained through muslin (I only added the liquid and not the grains to the wort).

It is still fermenting at 24 degrees and the initial reading on Hydrometer was 4%. I should imagine it will be ready to keg/secondary in next few days (giving it a week) so this means I have only a few days to make a cocoa nib/vodka infusion.

The other thing I was thinking of adding was a shot of espresso coffee to the keg as well as the nibs. Or should I simply add oven roasted coffee beans as well as some one roasted cocoa nibs? (presumably the roasting will sanitise them)?

Again, I am unclear on quantities and time in the keg infusing.

Any ideas and suggestions most welcome as completely lost as how to proceed!!

Thank you

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Adding cocoa nibs to Coopers Stout Kit

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello and welcome to JBK! :)

SInce this is a brewing question rather than an introduction, I'm moving it to the appropriate subforum.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Liverpool-Lad

Post by Liverpool-Lad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:23 pm

A shot of espresso wont do a lot. I used 4oz cocoa nib soaked in vodka for a day and cold brewed half a pound of quality ground coffee overnight and filtered that into the brew.

Tasted really good :)

This was made up with 1 can WIlko Stout, 1 can Newky Brown, 1 kg medium DME and quarter tin treacle also.

The other bits were added in secondary (filtered coffee and cocoa vodka!) before bottling.

Nexia333

Post by Nexia333 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:39 am

Welcome! Starting homebrewing and diving right into the Stouts! Good to see the ambition. Cheers

northernbeermonkey

Post by northernbeermonkey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks Liverpool-lad, I have decided against the coffee in case it tastes too bitter. So I have roasted 100g/4 oz of organic cocoa nibs for 10 minutes then ground them in a coffee grinder, added to a sterilised container, topped up with quality vodka and will leave for up to 72 hours, then strain into a muslin bag and add the bag of grains and vodka to the keg once it's ready to go in (in about 3 days time).
My question is then, will 100g cocoa nibs add sufficient chocolate flavour to 23litres/5 gallons of Coopers Stout kit (with additional 110g/4.5oz of chocolate malt already added to primary)?

Hope you can help?

Thanks

northernbeermonkey

Post by northernbeermonkey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Also, for priming sugar, could I use dark brown sugar or treacle? Or should this only be added to primary and not secondary?
And how much sugar for 23l keg?
Thanks again!

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Just read this, probably too late. From my understanding you can use brown sugar to prime, however, at this stage it will do little to impart flavour. Some great advice I was given was to try the kit as normal first of all, and from there when doing again make additions, so you have a benchmark. As for priming, I would use 100g of normal caster sugar dissolved in 200ml of water and then siphon your beer onto this ready to bottle/ keg. This is known as batch priming, and saves time.

For a truly superb stout, see the thread Ditch's Stout. It is great, and only require minor changes to what you currently have. I served it at a party and people loved it.

Hope this helps.