Australian Coopers Lager to German Dopplebock

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
Lunar

Australian Coopers Lager to German Dopplebock

Post by Lunar » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:33 pm

Planning to put this on later in the week; comments, corrections and observations welcome!

So here goes; my take on a Dopplebock.

1.7KG Coppers Lager kit
2kg LME
1KG brew sugar
200g crystal malt
200g chocolate malt
200g roasted barley
20g Fuggles

Planning to use an out of date White Labs Saison blend yeast, as its OOD I will make a starter up to get it up to strength and to help it cope with the high ABV I am shooting for. Plan to steep the grains @ 170 oC for 30 mins, though I would be interested on your thoughts on this. I read a wee while back about cold steeping over night, does anyone have any experience of this?

Brew short to 17ltr. According to my brew calc i should strike; OG 1.100 and FG 1.025, making for a slightly inebriating 9.8%.... [-o<

As a dopplebock should have a more alcohol taste than a hop taste I'm only planning a minor hop addition over and above the kit hops. I have 20g fuggles left and thought this would work. I also have some amarillo and NZ pacifica to hand (I would highly recommend NZ P, I recently used it in a heavily hopped belgium style and it tastes great. I split the batch and hopped half with NZ P and the other with Amarillo, the NZ P wins hands down).