cornies, polykegs.... definitive setup thread

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: cornies, polykegs.... definitive setup thread

Post by Pinto » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 pm

asd wrote:....The alternative is to rent stainless vessels, which a lot of people do. But if they go missing, I think you still have to pay!
And when KegWatch come across them eventually, you'll have to pay again

I can see that the two use kegs make sense for a brewery, but for the homebrewer they'd be bad news.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:49 pm

For the homebrew market, I would just ask the question, will the "same" polykegs still be being used in say 20 years time, like some cornys?

Pays your money takes your choice.

As for the new style 2 x use spear - i`m betting it might be an easy fix to get over.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:26 am

I'm not sure I'm understanding the discussion about 2 use spears. Sure that's NOT about polykegs.
Simon was saying this was an issue with Petainers from the Staffordshire Brewery I linked to earlier.
aka Rhys

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:31 am

Pinto wrote:Hmm... the two use thing makes them pretty much useless :( Even if the valve can be overriden I think it would be too much of a ballache to have to keep doing it; boy, am I glad I bought 10 polykegs :lol:

In happy news, I got 5 Sankey S types for £40 today...... \:D/
That was you was it! Lol had my eye on them! Lol :D

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:36 am

leedsbrew wrote:
Pinto wrote:Hmm... the two use thing makes them pretty much useless :( Even if the valve can be overriden I think it would be too much of a ballache to have to keep doing it; boy, am I glad I bought 10 polykegs :lol:

It was I that done the deed :lol: I've been watching them for a while now and when the seller dropped his BIN price I lost control of my itchy mouse finger :lol:

I'd offer to sell some on but my little brother has now decided he wants a 2 keg setup and with my 3 keg set (planning a Keezer so I can have and ale,lager/kolsch and a Turbo Cider on tap) they're all spoken for.
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...

asd

Post by asd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 am

[quote="barneey"]For the homebrew market, I would just ask the question, will the "same" polykegs still be being used in say 20 years time, like some cornys?

No, they won't, but I'll be dead by then, probably. One of my offspring does covet my Cornies, though. Good boy.

It'll be interesting to see what the life of the Polykeg and similar will be. Plastic degrades, as we know. But I guess it's the same argument as plastic FVs versus shiny - shiny FV will last a lifetime, but plastic is cheaper. As soon as a plastic FV gets a bit scratched, you chuck it out , and get another.

The reasoning behind my thinking of bringing over a pallet of NEW Polykegs was that I was in the LHBS buying some Irish Moss and saw this http://www.goodlifehomebrew.com/better- ... enter-4289 and this http://www.goodlifehomebrew.com/5-gallo ... -valve-855 and this http://www.goodlifehomebrew.com/rotokeg-beer-barrel-859 and thought "What if....." And also "WTF"

I think the only weak link is the gas.I don't think the Sankey connector is necessarily, as I've just picked up a few on ebay, now I'm properly looking, for about £10 a go, and they are "only" about £35 new if you are impatient.

You also need the regulator, though.

I've just ordered the £12.99 Sodastream adapter, not the expensive German one which I know works. there was a post either here or on the "other place" which reckoned that the OP had bought a rubbish aluminium adapter that was a piece of Sh*te, maybe from somewhere else, I hope I haven't bought the same type. If it works, I reckon that the homebrew world can move from 1970's/80's style kingKegs and Rotokegs to a better thing, whether it be SS or plastic - but deffo gas and Sankeys..

It would be nice if the collective Jim's group could put together a thread on gas options - bulbs - Clarkes - Sodastream - pub cylinders - fire extinguishers - and whatever. Not just for this.

asd

Post by asd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:12 am

Heron1952 wrote:I'm not sure I'm understanding the discussion about 2 use spears. Sure that's NOT about polykegs.
Simon was saying this was an issue with Petainers from the Staffordshire Brewery I linked to earlier.
You are right Heron, it is the Petainers that are based on two use of coupling and decoupling the Sankey fitting. I understand it P**sses landlords off, as they can't ever move or change things for line cleaning, etc.

Anyway, I'm going to have a look at them soon...

asd

Post by asd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:17 am

Pinto wrote:
leedsbrew wrote:

It was I that done the deed :lol: I've been watching them for a while now and when the seller dropped his BIN price I lost control of my itchy mouse finger :lol:

I'd offer to sell some on but my little brother has now decided he wants a 2 keg setup and with my 3 keg set (planning a Keezer so I can have and ale,lager/kolsch and a Turbo Cider on tap) they're all spoken for.

Threads getting a bit side tracked now, but I just picked up this lot.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171185048282? ... 1439.l2648 Not sure what most of it is, but there is DEFINITELY a coupler in there! Plus got five more from same seller - 3 S types and 2 flat ones. So one postage for both makes it a good result.

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:07 pm

asd wrote:
Heron1952 wrote:I'm not sure I'm understanding the discussion about 2 use spears. Sure that's NOT about polykegs.
You are right Heron, it is the Petainers that are based on two use of coupling and decoupling the Sankey fitting. I understand it P**sses landlords off, as they can't ever move or change things for line cleaning, etc.

Anyway, I'm going to have a look at them soon...
Be interested in what you find out 2 disconnects seems useless, even for a one trip product.
My local pub guys thought my polykegs, when I mentioned them, were petainers, the air was a little blue until I explained they were NOT the same.
I'm in Staffordshire this weekend should have gone over to the Stafford Brewery yesterday, maybe next time I'm up here.
aka Rhys

seanhibs

Post by seanhibs » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 pm

HI guys, first post here =P~

Was just looking to get a corny keg, think ive got one sorted now, but trying to work out the gas regulators. I have easy access to a regulator which is the same as the one in the link, but am I right in saying that this is only a 'secondary' regulator, and i would still need a 'primary'. Also, what is a primary regulator, where do I get one from?

http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/images/products/7535x.jpg

Thanks

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:53 pm

seanhibs wrote:HI guys, first post here =P~

Was just looking to get a corny keg, think ive got one sorted now, but trying to work out the gas regulators. I have easy access to a regulator which is the same as the one in the link, but am I right in saying that this is only a 'secondary' regulator, and i would still need a 'primary'. Also, what is a primary regulator, where do I get one from?

http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/images/products/7535x.jpg

Thanks
Hi and welcome..

yep that looks like a 2ndary to me ..

The primary regulator is responsible for reducing the HUGE bottle pressure down to useable pressures.. 2ndary regs then modify the lower pressure further down if you need more than one concurrent pressure level. So if you want to serve one or more beers at 15psi and one or more at a second pressure say 10psi
set the primary to 15psi and use the 2ndary to reduce that further to 10 ;) if you want a 3rd serving pressure u get a 2nd secondary etc...

for about £30 or less you can get a basic welders co2 reg. they have 2 dials the 1st shows the source bottle pressure, and the 2nd shows the output, some show flow in litres per min, not what u want , lok for one that shows pressure in psi AND look for one with 2 psi steps in the gradient as some go up in 4-5psi increments which will make setting specific pressures that much harder. Tho its easy to fit a gauge inline for about a tenner in bits n bobs..

as it happens stonehelm is my lhbs and the guys running it (family affair) are brewers who if u ring em are happy to talk u thru what u need.. Stephan (responsible for setting me on the ag path) is about thurs/fri/and sat ;) and knows his onions as well as beers ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

mojonojo

Post by mojonojo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 pm

on poly kegs has anyone seen this setup - http://dolium.eu/

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Looks very similar to the polykeg in application - assuming it doesnt have the stupid "two strikes " spear mechanism as the Petainer.

Would be interesting to see what prices/minimum order quantites either this lot or polykeg want for their products; I'd even consider getting some in and selling them but worry that the market would soon reach saturation point as there are so many people out there who would be interested in a keg system for their beer - and lets face it, its the pretty hefty cost of the rest of the system (pipework, JG fittings, Taps, Sankey connectors and gas delivery) and the complexity of setup that would deter the average homebrewer.

Mind you... If I could come up with an affordable design for a sankey kegstand/tap.....:-k

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 am

Minimum order one pallet so no problem we have ASD :-) if this is a good deal.
aka Rhys

daddies-beer-factory

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:22 pm

I am thinking of getting some 20 L Plastic Kegs from Brewery Plastics http://www.breweryplastics.biz/
I got a quote & can say that its a good price compared to a corny,

obviously I need a gas bottle, reg, couplers & lines

but do I need the spear or socket that screws in to accept the coupler ? ( tech info on website just says valve - standard fitting type S )

also looking at the slim 20 L stainless steel kegs on crusader - but these will take a lot longer to afford

I think the plastic will last a long time - am I right ?