Best scales for AG weighing

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
calumrobertson

Best scales for AG weighing

Post by calumrobertson » Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 am

Hi,
In preperation for getting together all the equipment im going to need to moved to AG brewing, i was just wondering what kind of scales people use for weighing out grains and hops. Obviously they'd need to be able to weigh fairly accurately within a range of grams (for hops) to KG (for all the grains).
Just wondering whether people have found any good ones that are hassle free to use, maybe allowing you to use a FV as the container for weighing grain into>
Link to some ive been looking at here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=s ... 1274690629

boingy

Re: Best scales for AG weighing

Post by boingy » Mon May 24, 2010 10:51 am

I just use some fairly cheap digital kitchen scales for both hops and grain. They claim to measure to the nearest gram (which I doubt!)and they have a max of 5 kg. Measuring this stuff is not a precise art. The AA value of your hops is only an average and the, um, "maltiness" of the malt will also vary from sack to sack and even throughout the same sack. Some peeps even use a jug to measure out malt rather than weighing it.

Before I got the digital scales I had no way to measure hops so I would just assume the packet was a fairly accurate 4 ounces and split the hops by eye (e.g. quarter of a pack for one ounce).

Edit: I'm pretty sure I use the exact same scales as the Salter ones at the top of that Amazon link. I can recommend them, although you will not be able to use your FV as a weighing bowl because it will obsure the display. I use a 3 litre jug to weigh out grains and a 15 litre FV bucket to mix them in. Further down this thread Chris questions the battery type but these scales use the sort of coin cell that is commonly available in most supermarkets these days (not that I have needed to replace the battery yet).
Last edited by boingy on Mon May 24, 2010 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

chris_reboot

Re: Best scales for AG weighing

Post by chris_reboot » Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 am

likewise, bog standard digital kitchen scales.
I fill a jug with grain several times to get what I need.

hops I weigh in a food bag inside a light plastic bowl on them too.
usually accurate (apparently) to 2g, so I do some eye work on that.