Leak: BSP --> Valve ---> BSP Tri-clamp Ferrule

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris2012
Under the Table

Leak: BSP --> Valve ---> BSP Tri-clamp Ferrule

Post by chris2012 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Hey,

I Have the following problem:

Tank --> BSP --> Valve ---> BSP Tri-clamp Ferrule

There is a leak at the 'BSP Tri-clamp Ferrule', i've tried wrapping a fair amount of ptfe to no avail.

So, I'm thinking of making my own rubber ring, to go in the valve, that the ferrule will screw onto hopefully - using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-RUBB ... 0788411590

Reckon that would fix my issues?

(Ideally I would like to remove the threaded fitting completely, but i'm not sure if i can afford to at the moment)

Cheers!

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Leak: BSP --> Valve ---> BSP Tri-clamp Ferrule

Post by Fil » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:26 pm

fwiw my leak sealing process is,

1) Increasing wraps of PTFE including washers, and so far this has solved everything i have had to deal with..

2) When i balked at what i originally considered too much ptfe ( utubes had convinced me a 3x wrap was sufficient - HA!)
I have also used circa 1mm thick silicone baking sheet (tho i think your link above is a cheaper option.. )
which works well especially if you under cut central holes that surround a male thread, a little stretching when first fitting ensures the silicone will hug the threaded body ...

3) when thread matting is limited fernox lsx thread sealer thinly smeared over the joint parts will cure to an almost pure silicone.
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/fernox-lsx- ... GwodlKAO-g

It is nasty stuff until its cured containing some nasty volatiles so gloves and well ventilated work space are advisable. ALso as it cures to a near pure silicone it could be vulnerable to mould ingress if kept in a damp condition. think the mould you find growing in bathroom/shower room silicone sealant..

So in short, keep going with increasing wraps of ptfe, try to build up a uniform level of wrap,

If your dealing with NTP/BSP thread interface problems, while they should mate OK try to twist a thin cord of tape to wrap inside the male thread grove before wrapping with a flat tape ;)..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Leak: BSP --> Valve ---> BSP Tri-clamp Ferrule

Post by chris2012 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:44 am

Thanks a lot! Lots of good advice there.

I'll try more ptfe to start with then. Both valve and fitting should be BSP, as far as I'm aware anyway.