Calling all ATC800 users,,,,,,

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Calling all ATC800 users,,,,,,

Post by Mashman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:51 pm

I've just spent the afternoon wiring up my ATC800, what a splendid piece of kit. 8)

Seems to be working fine, controlling the fridge temp to within about 0.2C according to my digital thermometer. Now for the silly question.....

Do you stick the NTC probe with the little suction pad on the outside of you FV or is it waterproof and can therefore go into the fermenting beer?
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

Doingatun
Piss Artist

Post by Doingatun » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi Mashman,

I found this a puzzler as far as I know the probe is intended for tip immersion in an aquarium sensing liquid temps, using to sense air temps will slow reaction time and accuracy a tad?.

I didn’t want to mess with probe in my brew and risk possible infection or damage sanitizing. I use mine in a fridge with a tube heater mounted in the base, I fixed the probe/sucker to the inside of the fridge roughly the height of FV wort and leave it there, if I suckered it to the FV I’d forget when I removed the FV and pull the probe/wire apart.

Fermenting wort temp is 1 or 2c higher than air temp…Set me thinking if I’m doing right :-k .

Still trying to find a suitable box to mount it in.

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:39 pm

What about sticking it onto the side of the fermentor with a bit of polysterene over the top of it. That way you will see it and won't forget it when pulling the fermenter out and also the insulation provided by the foam will protect it from rapid changes in air temp (ie opening the door) thus giving a read out of the temperature of the outside of the fermenter which is bound to be close to our identical to the inside liquid (thats what i plan to do) :D

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 pm

Doingatun wrote:Hi Mashman,

I found this a puzzler as far as I know the probe is intended for tip immersion in an aquarium sensing liquid temps, using to sense air temps will slow reaction time and accuracy a tad?.

I didn’t want to mess with probe in my brew and risk possible infection or damage sanitizing. I use mine in a fridge with a tube heater mounted in the base,.
Which brings me to my next question, when winter comes what is the best method of heating in a fridge, tube heater, mat or aquarium heater?
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble