Shiny bottling gun

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:17 am

Yeah David, how do you bottle beer without wanting to get out the razor blades? I wouldn't mind entering a competition but I've only bottled a few times, hated every second of it and vowed never to do it again.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:39 am

Steve_flack you can enter cornies at several competitions :twisted:
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Steve Flack:
Yeah David, how do you bottle beer without wanting to get out the razor blades? I wouldn't mind entering a competition but I've only bottled a few times, hated every second of it and vowed never to do it again.
You don't think I stoop to bottling, do you? Actually, while Janette does all the cleaning we do bottle together. The secret weapon is a digital radio with a recording device so we can listed to Peter Tinniswoode, Kenneth Horne or whatever. The radio is a good companion when labelling bottles too.

'Buttons' bottle cleaner is very handy as in the bench capper, the bottle tree and a big sprayer for peracetic. Pipette for priming syrup. Milk crates. The worst job was removing labels; but now we only use Pilsner bottles and German brewery labels soak off easily, them being so eco-conscious. Derby Beer Festival continental beer stand can supply several hundred per year.

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:17 pm

Daab:
I recall someone mentioning you turning up to the North Hants Brewers club with a particularly good bottled beer, how do you move your bottled beers around without disturbing the sediment, I assumed you used a bottling widget like the bottling gun but obviously not?
Choose a flocculent yeast (Notts / S-04 / Fullers), aim for a low yeast count at bottling, choose darker beers and present the beer once everyone's past caring! It was 1100og Amarillo taste explosion!

Bottling - we rack to another bucket then after a couple of days settling bottle through the standard Brupaks bottle filling stick http://www.brupaks.com/filling%20siphoning.htm

We had two Phil's fillers and they both drew air, hardly a bright idea when bottling.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Do you do any maturation before bottling or do you rack from fermenter to bottling bucket to bottle. I notice the bit about priming syrup. Do you use a syringe or a multidose pippete?

If I was to bottle it would reasonably bright beer straight from the racking arm of a conical fermenter.

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:39 pm

Do you do any maturation before bottling or do you rack from fermenter to bottling bucket to bottle.
No maturing unless for convenience because I'm away. This is one of the things I disagree with GW about (cower). It's what I call his 'noxious effluvia' theory that beers need months in cask first. I acknowledge that conditioning in bulk will happen more quickly, but my beers have gone down well enough in competition to make me unconvinced that bulk conditioning is essential.
I notice the bit about priming syrup. Do you use a syringe or a multidose pippete?
Just a 3mm pippette. Multidose would be better I suppose, but when listening to the radio time is not of the essence.
If I was to bottle it would reasonably bright beer straight from the racking arm of a conical fermenter.
I offered our head brewer one and he said if there was £800 going he'd better things to spend it on. Also I like comparing yeasts and £1600 seems a lot. I'm not a handyman type unlike many here.

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:55 pm

The carbonator cap about GBP12 from Hop and Grape
Image[/quote]

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:21 pm

A 3-ml disposable pipette - not rocket science.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:23 pm

David Edge wrote: I offered our head brewer one and he said if there was £800 going he'd better things to spend it on. Also I like comparing yeasts and £1600 seems a lot. I'm not a handyman type unlike many here.
Check here for ones a little cheaper than that....

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 pm

presumably it gives you the equivalent of 1/2 tsp of sugar per 3ml squirt
100g sugar + 250 ml water gives about 300ml which is then reduced a little by boiling to sterilise. So each dose is about 1g of sugar - about a quarter teaspoon. It gives us enough carbonation, because we're aiming for something like cask ale not bottled. I should think you could make a syrup thick enough to get 2g/dose.

Note too we don't wait ages for the beer to dry out before bottling - there will be some residual sugar.