Boilers...

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Orkney_Rob

Boilers...

Post by Orkney_Rob » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:04 pm

Just a thought, but looking at all these plastic boilers got me thinking...

Would a second hand catering boiler work for making homebrew? You get up to around 30l electric units for the same sort of money as the cheap plastic jobs from Leyland Home Brew.... they even have thermostats and everything ...

It's just a thought at the moment :D

Oh aye - would 30l be big enough.... or should I look for something with more capacity?

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:38 pm

A few of us on here use Burco electric boilers - mine's 27L so I have to top up the boil with wort as it boils off. Got mine off Ebay 8)
Dan!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:52 pm

I've not used a Burco, but as far as capacity is concerned, even my 33litre SS pot is a bit undersized to take account of evaporation on a 5 gal brew length.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

louthepoo

Post by louthepoo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:07 pm

i've bought the 50 litre version of jims but its not up and going yet :( looks plenty big enough though

Orkney_Rob

Post by Orkney_Rob » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:31 pm

Yep - it was a Burco I was looking at, but if the capacity is a bit short perhaps I should just bite the bullet and go with the Hop and Grape 10 gallon job (when I buy that is!)...

10 gallons though - sounds a bit big really!!!!!

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:55 pm

I've got both a Burco and a H&G 60L plastic boiler. I much prefer the plastic one, even when I'm only doing a 5 gallon batch.

Orkney_Rob

Post by Orkney_Rob » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Cheers John that is useful information,

By the time postage is included I would probably be looking at the same kind of money either way... I would probably just get a single element one though... actually - their full mash starters kit looks tempting, throw in an immersion cooler for another £27... hmmmm......

Maybe after payday or something :?

Wobbler

Post by Wobbler » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:03 pm

I'd also recommend buying a 10 gal boiler, even if you're only making 5 gal. I've got an old Ritchie 5 gal boiler I used to use for boiling the wort, but I wouldn't like to go back to that system again. I now use it as a HLT. You may also decide in the future to start making 10 gal batches.