My new set-up

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
johnmac
Under the Table

My new set-up

Post by johnmac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Having been told to move out of the kitchen, this is my new set-up:

I was keeping everything in a spare bedroom, carrying it all downstairs, mashing in the kitchen, boiling in the garden and then carrying it all back up the stairs again. No wonder I was knackered after a brew day.

I had to invest £8.99 in a workbench and £18.39 each for the trestles. A scaffold plank which I’ve been storing in the loft for 20 years has suddenly found a use!

The new set-up should save a load of labour, but I wonder what it’ll be like in the cold weather?

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: My new set-up

Post by Mashman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:13 pm

johnmac wrote:
The new set-up should save a load of labour, but I wonder what it’ll be like in the cold weather?
Cold :lol:, jackets needed for everything including yourself!

I brew outside, cold isn't to bad, just avoid the rain.
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

delboy

Post by delboy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Isn't that a garage i see in the background, keep the car were it is on the driveway and the move the brewery into the garage, Lovely Jubbly :D

Like the look of the trestles they would certainly come in handy :-k

Jimberbob

Post by Jimberbob » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:09 pm

Workbenchamundus mate :D .
Looking good! I used to use a pair of knackered old B&Q trestles with a board across for my mashtun. Until one fateful day, the bleedin' lot collapsed :( . Luckily, the mashtun remained upright on the floor and the grain stayed in the bucket :D .
Those trestles look just the job though. I wish i'd thought of that. :D

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 pm

Nice, your giving me some ideas :D

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:33 pm

I was thinking of making a three tier set-up out of timber. I didn't because I can't make my mind up about the design and because it would take up floor space in my garage - the beauty of the workmate/trestles arrangement, is that it folds down and can be hung up on the wall.

On the other hand, to be able wheel out a brew-trolley, with everything in place, is tempting.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm

And with your extra wood working capacity, 'er indoors can get you onto more projects around the house
Nah, I'd be too busy brewing 8)

J_P

Re: My new set-up

Post by J_P » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:46 pm

johnmac wrote: A scaffold plank which I’ve been storing in the loft for 20 years has suddenly found a use!
My Da still has the handle bars off his first motorbike in the loft it think he built the thing out of bits from a tea chest when he was on the sick when he was 16 (nearly 40 odd years ago). I wonder what he thinks that will come in useful for :lol:

I built the shelves in my beer cave out of scaffolding board as it was good and strong - can't have beer spillage now can we!

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:04 pm

JP, there's probably an ebay user somewhere who's desperate for some old handlebars.

J_P

Post by J_P » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:19 pm

johnmac wrote:JP, there's probably an ebay user somewhere who's desperate for some old handlebars.
Oh god don't tell him that it took me a week to explain e-mail to them both :lol:

AT

Post by AT » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:41 am

J_P wrote:
johnmac wrote:JP, there's probably an ebay user somewhere who's desperate for some old handlebars.
Oh god don't tell him that it took me a week to explain e-mail to them both :lol:
Email my dad has a hard time understanding text messages :lol:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:57 am

alexander taipan wrote:
J_P wrote:
Email my dad has a hard time understanding text messages :lol:
Hey lay off the old uns, I'm your Dads age and my Mum is 82 she has an internet savings account she manages from the local Library and building society computers and occasionally mine, we have one thing in common though, can't remember the passwords :roll:

Mind you I have only ever sent 3 text messages and still don't know how I did it. :lol: My phone is 18 months old and I still have credit from the £30 that came with it 8)