Chappies HERMS Plans

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 am

Can brass fittings be used in brewing? SS ball valves are a bit pricey!

Cheers

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:49 am

BES are more reasonable than most for stainless ballvalves and the advantage of a 3-piece valve is you take it apart and PROPERLY clean it.

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:16 am

Cheers lads, i decided to go with the brass ballvalve! If i have any probs i might change to a three piece!

Does anyone have any experience of the elements in the cheap tesco kettles? Ive dismantled it but im no sure how you people have taken the switch off it and wired it??

Cheers

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:18 pm

It almost comes out independantly, but with a click switch on it. I have it off now and nearly ready to test it . . . :D

Can food grade sealant be used to secure elements into a boiler?

jaytee1

Post by jaytee1 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:07 pm

Chappie519 wrote:It almost comes out independantly, but with a click switch on it. I have it off now and nearly ready to test it . . . :D

Can food grade sealant be used to secure elements into a boiler?
Hey chappie im putting plans together for a brew systems and trying to get some idea about how i will construct it. I would be keen to hear how you get on with the heating element from the cheap tesco kettles. Are they 2.4kw?

JT

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:52 pm

There 2.2kW JT! Works like a charm in water so far! Just building the heat exchanger for it to go into just now! Ill keep ya posted!

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:53 pm

Where's the pictures :D

Too busy building I guess :roll:

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:49 pm

Digi camera will be out tomorro! :lol: . . . hopefully!

jaytee1

Post by jaytee1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:08 am

Chappie519 wrote:Digi camera will be out tomorro! :lol: . . . hopefully!
We always like to see some photos :D :D :D

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Liar liar liar!! I certainly am! :lol: I ended up at T in the park at the weekend and unable to get picis! But i will take them as soon as i finish this heat exchanger! The PID is all wired and working my element nicely and i have just to fit the copper coil! :roll:

Off the subject of HERMS. . . can a hole be drilled in the side of a fridge safely or would i hit a cooling coil or something?

Cheers

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:59 pm

There's always the distinct possibility of hitting a coolant line and making a very big paper weight. The door is fine though.

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:59 am

I know i said id get these up a month ago, well here goes:

The Brew stand.

Close up of mash Tun. Made from SS keg and some ducting. Rockwool packed between to create insulation- works very well so far.

The Heat Exchanger - Made from Drainage pipe and 10mm copper pipe.

PID mounted in its box.

Ill hopefully get some better pics up soon! Did its 1st brew last night and was sucssessfull in mashing but i fear boiler is too large for any batches under 6 gallon.

Im all ears for any comments! :lol:

Cheers

Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:10 am

Looks good. I like the mash tun idea.

/Phil.

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:14 am

Cheers 7! Doesnt look as shiney as yours tho! Does the job and i had the ducting and insulation lying around from a previous project!

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:50 am

Nice work chappie!
Dan!