Cheap Cornies!!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:45 pm

These kegs were obviously well maintained until they were taken out of service. Four of the five were still holding pressure. I hope to reuse most of the o-rings and all of the poppets. The keg bodies are in great condition, once they've been cleaned up.

CHEERS IAN

(and I wish I'd asked for some more of your excellent ale)

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:18 pm

ha ha, so everyone gets a taste of the ale, and I thought it was just me being lucky...

Can't agree more, they are in great nick.

Thanks again Ian for you graft and help.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:54 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Vossy when I picked up my cornies from Ian. He was asleep in his car until Ian woke him up. I think I heard a tirade of "Drink-feck-shiny-women-cornies-drink-shiny" Then Vossy loaded nearly all of Ian's cornies into his car, gave Ian a punch in the face, had another rant and went back to sleep :wink:

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:17 pm

johnmac wrote:I had the pleasure of meeting Vossy when I picked up my cornies from Ian. He was asleep in his car until Ian woke him up. I think I heard a tirade of "Drink-feck-shiny-women-cornies-drink-shiny" Then Vossy loaded nearly all of Ian's cornies into his car, gave Ian a punch in the face, had another rant and went back to sleep :wink:
you were lucky he wasn't on the windolene or there wasn't any windows for him to jump through :lol:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:34 pm

:flip: :flip:

I too was lucky enough to sample IB's ale and it was excellent, hopped with Cascade as my latest IPA is, so now I'm really looking forward to it :wink:

I'm sure JM overheard IanB invite all JHBF members to a free barbacue and beer sampling session round his place.....provided we bring some TC for her indoors :lol: :lol:

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Do you know Vossy, I think you're right. I'm sure Ian said there'd be plenty more Cascade pale ale and I think you said Mrs. Doyle would do the catering.
And didn't Ian say he's found some stainless conical fermenters with external cooling jacket at fifty quid a go?

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:49 pm

You're not wrong Jm and Mrs Doyle's favourite sausages are Richmond :lol:

A JHBF barbacue...that would be interesting :wink:

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:31 pm

I've just got back from picking up a car load of cornies for myself and Slurp - Well done Ian, top job :D (although finding your house should have been a test on the Krypton factor :lol: ).

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:17 pm

(although finding your house should have been a test on the Krypton factor Laughing ).
Oh good, it wasn't just me then! I even had a job finding the M62 afterwards!

Ross

Post by Ross » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:39 pm

Nice work Ian, those look like pretty good kegs. you mention mini kegs, i'm assuming they're 12L ones - if so I'd be grabbing them, if they're half as rare as here in Aus - Like rocking horse poo over here :) .
I've got my 1st shipment of kegs arriving at my home next month - 2,500 of them in a 40ft container - should keep me busy 8)

Cheers Ross

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:41 pm

Now that requires a picture for the archives 8)

Best not use flash...It'll blind you 8)

Ross

Post by Ross » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Vossy1 wrote:
Now that requires a picture for the archives 8)

Best not use flash...It'll blind you 8)
LOL - I'll make sure i post some pics. I've offered up 2 free cornies to anyone that comes & helps me unload them - with the amount of guys that have put their hands up i'm in danger of just seeing a whole string of people arrive, grab their 2 kegs & leave me with nowt :lol:

cheers Ross

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:37 am

Some of the cornies I got from Ian still had a fair bit of liquid inside them and they had tags with a fill date of 1997 :shock:

I am going to open them at a distance :shock:

Could be vintage brews inside...as long as they don't have legs and don't chase me ...I'll be fine :wink:

Ianb

Post by Ianb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:55 am

I've opened and hosed out mine.

I had to thwart an attack form the bitter lemon monster!!!! :shock:

And, just out of interest, can anyone think of a soft drink served carbonated on draught that was bright blue ??? :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

I can't but one of the kegs was half full of it.

It goes to prove the sealing ability of Cornies. These are at least seven years out of service, but most have some residual pressure in them, some are at +++p.s.i.

I'm almost tempted to clean, sterilise and then pressure test at 140 PSI in the bath. NO leaks??? Why replace the seals?

Or am I just being a cheap skate?

Hmmm. Lots of people collecting in the morning, and I'm going to try a brew, so I'd better hit the hay!!! :)

Night all

Ian

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:05 am

I had to thwart an attack form the bitter lemon monster!!!!
:D :D
Or am I just being a cheap skate?
No...why spend money if you don't have to :wink: