My heat exchanger

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Vossy1

My heat exchanger

Post by Vossy1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:31 pm

I decided to do a complete overhaul of my system seeing as I'm making a new boiler/copper and mash tun.

My heat exchanger has had a design flaw since I made it. Basically the inlet and outlet to the heat exchanger came in through the top of the vessel. This meant on draining down there would always be some residual fluid left in the the copper pipe. It also meant an liquid lock could form which made it hard to prime my recirc pump.
I've taken it apart and corrected the flaw with the inlet coming up through the bottom of the vessel and the outlet through the top.

I never covered making this initially so I though it may be of interest to some of you guys :wink:

The bits

These consist of:-

A stainless steel pasta jar which I bought from Debenhams in the sales for £4 (I think...long time ago now :roll: )
1 x kettle element
1 x 1/2" male to 10mm compression fitting
1 x anode (new addition)
1 x roll of 10mm copper tube
2 x 10mm elbows

Tools required,

A drill, a dremmel, 20 & 40mm hole saw bits, a 10mm hss bit,
a file, a hack saw, a blow tourch, solder and wire wool.

The heat exchanger coil is 10mm copper pipe which was wound around a fire extinguisher to get a coil of copper small enough to fit inside the stainless vessel. I took the outlet feed off at a right angle, by soldering a elbow onto one end of the coil along with a small piece of copper pipe which exits through a 10mm hole at the top left hand side of the vessel.
At the other end of the copper coil I soldered another elbow to make the inlet feed vertical, again with a small piece of copper pipe

The first thing to do was to make a 40mm hole dead center in the base of the vessel wall, where the element would be mounted.
To the outside of this I drilled a 20mm hole for the inlet fitting, being careful to allow room for the lock nut of the element, and the fitting.
I used a constant supply of cold water to cool the hole saw bit and vessel whilst drilling. Then I filed the burrs off which were left after drilling the holes, with a dremmel.

Next I had to prepare the brass fitting for the inlet.
The 1/2" male to 10mm compression fitting, has a collar inside it that prevents 10mm tube from going all the way through it.
To get the 10mm copper tube to pass through the fitting, I used a 10mm titanium drill bit to drill through the collar, thus removing it, using a vice to secure the fitting whilst drilling.

I then screwed the fitting into the 20mm hole in the vessel, from the outside, applying some JB Weld to make sure it sealed water tight.

Now it was time to insert the copper coil.
Before doing this I offered the copper coil to the vessel to see roughly where the outlet would be. I marked this position, then drilled a 10mm hole through the vessel wall, at this point.
The inlet tube of the copper coil passes through the brass fitting in the base of the vessel. Then I attached the 10mm olive and nut, and tightened. I coaxed the outlet tube through the hole at the top of the vessel and then fitted the element securing it with the lock nut

I haven't fitted the anode yet.

The reason for not sealing the area around where the outlet exits the vessel, is to allow any pressure generated by the heated water to escape, as the lid is fitted with a seal.

EDIT

I had to cut some copper tube away from the coil to make my mods and thought it would be a good time to check for verdigris. I cut the removed sections of copper pipe in half. length ways, and was please to find spotless copper staring back at me 8)
Last edited by Vossy1 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

Martin the fish

Post by Martin the fish » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 pm

Excellent thread V1

Very Shiny 8)

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:49 pm

Good work fella!
Dan!

bandit

Post by bandit » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:59 am

You da man Vossy. How are you getting on with the JB weld. I have had some unsuccessful bonding issues with stainless to copper, any tips?

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 am

I have had some unsuccessful bonding issues with stainless to copper, any tips?
Yeah, so have I :?
I think I went wrong by not roughing the mating surface of the steel.
The welds helds for about 4 or 5 brews then started failing.
The roughed up welds have never failed...touch wood...pats head :lol:

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:47 am

Impressive!

Have you ever brewed with the same kit twice? :lol:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:54 am

Have you ever brewed with the same kit twice?
As if :lol: :lol:

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Excellent stuff Vossy! Was planing this myself actually seen as my system is in bits at the mo! :cry:

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Wicked job there! 8)
I'm sure that if you take a break from brewing you could build and sell these and other equipment you've designed.
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Sorry to ask questions but I'm confused a hell...

What exactly should this unit do?

I thought the idea of a heat exchanger was to remove heat from something, why have you got a kettle element inside the can?

:?

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:20 pm

A heat exchanger does what it says on the tin. In this instance it's being used to keep wort recirculated through the copper at a desired temp. So heat is removed from the water - the element is there to make up the heat loss.
Dan!

Martin the fish

Post by Martin the fish » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:39 pm

So it's to keep the wort warm not cool it down?

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Martin the fish wrote:So it's to keep the wort warm not cool it down?
In this case yes as it's part of a HERMS system. A different application of a heat exchanger is for cooling wort post-boil as per the immersion chiller you've just built or a counter flow chiller.
Dan!

Seveneer

Re: My heat exchanger

Post by Seveneer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Vossy1 wrote:My heat exchanger has had a design flaw since I made it. Basically the inlet and outlet to the heat exchanger came in through the top of the vessel. This meant on draining down there would always be some residual fluid left in the the copper pipe. It also meant an liquid lock could form which made it hard to prime my recirc pump.
I had a similar problem but rather than remake my heat exchanger I changed my process to cope. I now pump hot liquor through the heat exchanger at full bore to clear any air locks then syphon back the other way through the pump and heat exchanger before connecting to the mash tun prior to recirculating.

Sounds more complicated than it is. :wink:

Since doing this I've had no set mashes and recirculaing is a breeze :D

/Phil.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:25 am

I had a similar problem but rather than remake my heat exchanger I changed my process to cope.
Get it fixed...not as if it's a big job :lol:
Saw the process on the pod cast/u-tube thingy....good stuff :wink: