Cornelius Keg - pressure

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Buzz

Cornelius Keg - pressure

Post by Buzz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Still on a high from ordering my first keg from Norm, I've spent all morning trawling through the previous posts on the subject to make sure I know what I'm doing when I get my hands on it. :?

Just 1 question remains - when force carbonating at about 12psi for a week, how do you then reduce the pressure for serving? Can you manually open the pressure release valve (not having owned a corni before I'm not sure how these work), or is it something to do with the regulator? I'm probably going to use widget world SoDash set-up and gas to start with, if this makes a difference.

My apologies if this has been asked many times before but I couldn't find anything specific to pressure-release when I searched.

erebus

Post by erebus » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Have't tried this myself, but I think the idea of force carbonating a beer is that the CO2 will absorb into the beer. So you set the pressure to 12psi, and after a week drop back to the pressure you want to serve the beer at.
As you're going to be using a WW setup you should see the pressure drop in between squirts. The first time you hook up the system and squirt 12psi into the beer, then the next day you should find that the pressure has dropped due to the C02 being absorbed into the beer, so you give it another squirt @ 12psi.

Buzz

Post by Buzz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks for that, it's exactly the procedure I had imagined from reading all the other threads on the subject. But, there will surely become a time when the liquid can no longer absorb any more co2. When this occurs there will be no drop in pressure naturally and the keg will remain at 12psi.

I've also read; 'Replace the sealing cover on the keg, and add just a small amount of gas to check that you have made a good seal. Then slowly raise the pressure to 20psi using the gas bottle. You will now have a keg of flat beer with 20psi of gas pressure. Lay the keg on its side and roll it back and forth for 5 minutes or so topping up the gas to 20 psi as necessary. Then drop the pressure to 10-15psi' with no reference to how exactly you go about dropping the pressure. Perhaps all will become clear when the keg arrives or, maybe someone with a corni can advise :?

retourrbx

Post by retourrbx » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:07 pm

drop the pressure using the pressure realease valve on the lid of the keg

Buzz

Post by Buzz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Thanks Retourrbx, :=P I thought It would be something simple.