Polypin Management

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jonnyt

Re: Polypin Management

Post by jonnyt » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Are you going to use a Beer Engine with it?

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Haven't got one so no. To be fair, since i started using minikegs (load of ****) this is the first time I've looked at actually moving away from bottling. So I'm the first to admit, I don't know much about this lot its just what I've read.
Am I correct in thinking polypins are reusable?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 pm

darkonnis wrote: Am I correct in thinking polypins are reusable?

Correct, but I've never used those thin looking ones.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm

Well i think the thin ones are disposable, but they're about a pound each. Which I'm not gonna cry about as I'd probably save that in effort/sanitising. I saw some which were about £6 a go for 10L and thought thats a bit dear for my liking! But if its reusable, thats not bad if you 'get 7/8 uses.

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 am

I'm currently trying out the 10L and 5L variations. Already had a few pints from the 10L one.
Just don't expect fizzy beer.

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:11 pm

darkonnis wrote:Well i think the thin ones are disposable, but they're about a pound each. Which I'm not gonna cry about as I'd probably save that in effort/sanitising. I saw some which were about £6 a go for 10L and thought thats a bit dear for my liking! But if its reusable, thats not bad if you 'get 7/8 uses.
The ones I use, 20 lts, £12 from my LHBS. I know it sounds expensive but I've re-used them at least 20-30 times and the are still going strong.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeah? these: http://www.murphyhomebrew.com/equipment/cat_25.html ?
Or like those atleast?

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Yes the look the same, the same as the ones if you buy beer in polypins from brewerys. If you can get hold of a handpump the combination is very good, the nearest I've found to a pub real ale.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Just one of the piston driven ones? I wanted to keg stuff but needing CO2 and regulators etc etc.... nah too much money. But if i can get away wit ha simple pull font type affair I'd be well chuffed. Might go get me 4 or so to put 2 brews in then just crack 1 a weekend.

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Love using pins and love this thread for its longevity and the fact is packed with good tips.

I do an annual brew marathon and as part of which I knock up a polypin of Fullers ESB to take North for the family festivities. I have never been able to nail the fermentation on it though.

First year it was vaguely lifeless as I under primed, second year I went for Dennis' tried and true 80g but crapped myself when I saw a baloon in my brew cupboard and released some gas. Alas, I did this too early as the co2 hadn't dissolved into the beer as yet so beer was again devoid of life.

This year I am going for the 80g prime and when the thing swells up to the size of a beach ball I am going to move it to the colder part of my flat (kill the heating in my son's room probably) for a couple of weeks and then release what excess gas is in there before stuffing in the box and storing till it makes the journey north.

I have one of those Murphy Homebrew pins and have only used it once, had a similar pin from barley bottom before and they seem very durable and reusable.
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

brian_beer

Post by brian_beer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I've just bought some from the bag in box place, mainly to use as throwaways for the lambic I have on the go (since I'm paranoid about dirtying my bottles with that one).

I will probably also use them for standard beers if they work ok, but how do you get them clean if you re-use them? You can obviously rinse out the beer and then starsan them, but I can't work out how you'd ever get it dry inside if you needed to store for a while in between uses. What do people do to keep them clean?

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 pm

brian_beer wrote:I've just bought some from the bag in box place, mainly to use as throwaways for the lambic I have on the go (since I'm paranoid about dirtying my bottles with that one).

I will probably also use them for standard beers if they work ok, but how do you get them clean if you re-use them? You can obviously rinse out the beer and then starsan them, but I can't work out how you'd ever get it dry inside if you needed to store for a while in between uses. What do people do to keep them clean?
I keep my bags wet inside with starsan, about a cup full that I periodically slosh around to foam up.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

brian_beer

Post by brian_beer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Ah nice and simple, I don't know why but I was thinking starsan might eat through the plastic if left sitting in there.

Sounds good - will give that a go, thanks

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 pm

I give mine a rinse with washing soda to clean after use then sterilize and rinse just before I fill with beer.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Just ordered 4 * 10L ones and 4 * 3L ones. 3L for me, 10L for me n company *hic* :D:D