Cleaning adapter for cornie liquid disconnect

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
boingy

Cleaning adapter for cornie liquid disconnect

Post by boingy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Wasn't sure whether this belonged in the cleaning or the equipment section.

Having just installed a Dalex tap and a bit of beer line to a black cornie disconnect my thoughts have turned to cleaning.

I want an adapter that will fit into a (disconnected) black disconnect and allow me to pump beerline cleaner through the disconnect, up the beer line and out of the Dalex tap. Then repeat this with rinsing water. This is pretty much what a pub landlord will do with his beer keg lines using one of those blue things.

The only place I have found a suitable adapter is here (second from bottom):

http://www.novanorm.net/ec-shop/index.h ... _tanks.htm

but that works out at daft money (27 Euro) and comes with line and hose connector that I do not need. I have asked them if they sell the adapter separately and I am awaiting a reply.

One option would be to use a spare cornie for the job but it would be a bit of a waste of a cornie and a bit unwieldy.

Another option would be to buy a spare disconnect post and somehow connect a bit of beerline. Those posts have a weird-ass screwthread on them and I'm not sure how I could connect to them without leaks.

So I was wondering how other people do this. Do you clean your beerline (good practice is to do it weekly)?

Ideas please!

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning adapter for cornie liquid disconnect

Post by Jim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 pm

I use a carbonator cap for this job, but be warned - it's designed to fit the gas disconnect, not the liquid. You will need to file the top lip down so that it will go into the smaller diameter liquid disconnect.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah, that cap was my first port of call until I realised it was for the gas rather than the liquid. It looks like buying a spare disconnect post and bodging it on to something might be the best way, unless candirect can offer a decent price on that adapter.

I suspect I may be butchering a JG fitting and screwing the disconnect post onto it, perhaps with the aid of a couple of miles of PTFE tape. It does make me wonder how original users of cornie kegs cleaned their lines. Maybe they did just have a spare cornie for the cleaning fluid.

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Corni filled with cleaning solution. It's so easy with a pub gas set up, and when I hate line cleaning I need make it easier/quicker. Next time you need to clean a corni, clean your lines too.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Fill bottle with cleaner and Pressurise (optional), detach out disco from cornie, replace out for in and connect to bottle,
open tap and and squeeze. when your done swap the discos and reattach to cornie :wink:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Chris-x1 wrote:Too logical Scooby :lol:
Of course you could just bodge a perfectly good disconnect :=P :lol:

Remember that in goes in and out and out goes out and in :lol:

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 pm

If you bodge the carbonator cap, you don't even have to swap disconnects (which also removes the need to clean and sanitise your liquid disconnect separately). Mr Spock couldn't have designed it better. :wink:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Jim wrote:If you bodge the carbonator cap, you don't even have to swap disconnects (which also removes the need to clean and sanitise your liquid disconnect separately). Mr Spock couldn't have designed it better. :wink:

Aye Aye Captain 8)

adm

Post by adm » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:54 pm

SiHoltye wrote:Corni filled with cleaning solution. It's so easy with a pub gas set up, and when I hate line cleaning I need make it easier/quicker. Next time you need to clean a corni, clean your lines too.
Seconded.

Every time you clean a corny, run the cleaning solution out of it through the beer lines before you chuck it away. Then rinse with the watr that you are rinsing the corny out with. Job done and no extra kit or solutions needed.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 pm

adm wrote:
SiHoltye wrote:Corni filled with cleaning solution. It's so easy with a pub gas set up, and when I hate line cleaning I need make it easier/quicker. Next time you need to clean a corni, clean your lines too.
Seconded.

Every time you clean a corny, run the cleaning solution out of it through the beer lines before you chuck it away. Then rinse with the watr that you are rinsing the corny out with. Job done and no extra kit or solutions needed.
I clean my lines at least once or twice a week, a spare cornie just for cleaning would be nice but the bottle is
more convenient and cheaper :wink:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Chris-x1 wrote:On the other hand if you keep a keg full of star san, you only need to empty it out and it's ready to be filled with lovely beer :=P

I'll have one of your spares then :=P

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks for all that. There are some good ideas there but they all fall a bit short of the requirements of lazy-ass Boingy. :x

I won't be cleaning a cornie often enough to use piggy back onto that, I don't want to dedicate a cornie to the job and I want to pump several litres uphill and re-circulate through the pipes a few times then repeat with clean water so the PET bottles and the hand spray might be a bit fiddly. And being a lazy-ass, anything that is a bit fiddly will mean I probably won't do it. I think I'll get me a spare disconnect post and see what I can come up with.

BTW, I got a reply from candirect. That adapter is just a disconnect post plus TWO thread adapters to get it onto a bit of standard pipe. No wonder it is pricy.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:47 pm

boingy wrote:That adapter is just a disconnect post plus TWO thread adapters to get it onto a bit of standard pipe. No wonder it is pricy.
Have a word with Bru4U ;)

I clean my lines using a Flojet pump . . . Remove the 3/8 adapter connect to boink pump outlet. Inlet goes into bucket / jug of sanitiser/cleaner . . . pump for some time . . . flush with water . . . . dismantle disconnect for thorough cleaning

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:00 pm

OK, this is what I did:

That's a standard cornie liquid post with a 1/4" BSP to 3/8" JG fitting from The Harmony Hut and about a mile of PTFE tape. The bulk of the gap between the fittings is tape so it's not ideal mechanically but I pumped about a gallon of water through it yesterday and there were no problems. I'm not sure I would trust it as a permanent part of a pressurised system but as a temporary fittiing for cleaning the lines it's spot on. Lubbly!

arkadiuszmakarenko

Post by arkadiuszmakarenko » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:41 pm

What do you think of using solution oxi clean or soda crystals to clean lines. And let it work for half an hour. Rinse and put some jodofor solution, let it work for few minutes and rinse again? What chemical would be the best? Ps i think last beer was infected by line. Beer was great when i opened corni but week later was terrible.