Bottle Bombs!!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ryanmanchester

Bottle Bombs!!

Post by ryanmanchester » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:29 pm

I found an exploded bottle today so I need to figure out how to deal with the rest of the bottles as safely as I can.

I bottled my beer 8 days ago with 90g sugar to 20L of beer. I had an idea to control the temp of the bottles by putting the bottles into two fermenters filled with water at 24C, then to insulate them with some camping mats and check and adjust the temp daily... seemed to be going pretty well until the water went slimey!

I put it down to it being the grolsch bottles that i was using spitting a bit of pressure out. Some of the bottles were upside down under the water so I thought it must have been a bit of sweet beer coming out and then that getting infected. So I went to clean it all out today and put fresh water in and take the bottles that weren't upright out, but one of them had broken in half at the bottom, so now I need to go about this very carefully as there could be more unexploded ones.

What should I do now?!

ryanmanchester

Re: Bottle Bombs!!

Post by ryanmanchester » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Sorry, I should have said, they're in swing-top grolsch bottles. The caps just swing off. They're also like I say, in fermenters, one is in water and the other fermenter was drained so I could clean and refill it, sitting in the bathtub. I guess I could just take a bottle in a towel and pop the top to see how carb'd it is. If there's no pop, I'll try a couple more and then just fill it back with water and some cleaner to kill the slime.

GeordieBrewer

Post by GeordieBrewer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Just as a bit of added protection, I always wear safety glasses while handling bottles during conditioning :shock:

Martin

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 am

GeordieBrewer wrote:Just as a bit of added protection, I always wear safety glasses while handling bottles during conditioning :shock:

Martin
Now you've mentioned it, that sounds a sensible thing to do! Though i've never had a bottle go yet!?!!! [-o<