bottling disaster!!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
macca

bottling disaster!!

Post by macca » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:36 pm

While doing a spot of bottling this evening, disaster struck! The tap on my fermenter must have come loose with a knock and it started pissing beer out from round the seal onto the floor. Much bad language ensued and the missus even poked her head into the kitchen to see what was going on and looked horrified at the beery mess all over the place. I managed to smear some neat videne on my hand/arm and plunged it into the beer to re secure the tap. It worked, sort of, but still leaked, so in a rush, I just shoved the unsterilised hose on and transferred it all to the botling bucket. In the chaos I did not add my priming solution to the bucket, so had to prime each bottle individually. I do hope my beer is not ruined. Fingers crossed it will be OK (it tasted great tonight after 3 weeks in the FV so hope I've not blown it with tonights bottling debacle).

Anyone else had similar issues with taps on fermenters? They do seem prone to coming loose....

Carpking

Re: bottling disaster!!

Post by Carpking » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Bad luck Macca, hope the beer turns out okay.
Maybe try a bottling stick and siphon your beer out. Its very conrolled and just put 1/2 tsp sugar per pint in before you cap. This has always worked well for me.
:D

macca

Re: bottling disaster!!

Post by macca » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:47 am

I can confirm the Wherry turned out A1. So proof that you can get away with cock-ups like this without ruining it. The batch is nearly all drunk!