ScrewTop wine bottles

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
AlexCricket

ScrewTop wine bottles

Post by AlexCricket » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:40 pm

I have some wine to bottle which I intend to do with normal corks. I have collected some bottles but have been given others. Some of the ones I've been given are screw tops with the tops missing. Can I still put corks in these?

RatboyOllie

Re: ScrewTop wine bottles

Post by RatboyOllie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 pm

worked fine for me !

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Yes, you can use them for corking but please be gentle when you push your corks into your bottles with the screw cap threads as the glass is thinner where the screwthread has been formed.

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:21 pm

I've corked some of these and like Horden says they are a little thinner so easy on the hand capper hammering. I've also used the original screwtops as well and have had no problems with either options.
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought it better than creating a new one. I am in this position as well now with a seemingly limitless supply of screw bottles from colleagues but with no caps. I have a two handled wine corker (I think the same as yours, HH?) which seems to insert the cork very smoothly.

I intend to use waxed corks - is this ok with screwcap bottles? Cheers. :)
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:04 pm

yashicamat wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought it better than creating a new one. I am in this position as well now with a seemingly limitless supply of screw bottles from colleagues but with no caps. I have a two handled wine corker (I think the same as yours, HH?) which seems to insert the cork very smoothly.

You should be ok, as long as you are gentle when you push the corks into the bottles. I have corked a few screw cap bottles myself using waxed corks & a twin lever corker. It may be a wise move to check the bottles first to make sure the screw threads are not cracked/chipped.

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote:
yashicamat wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought it better than creating a new one. I am in this position as well now with a seemingly limitless supply of screw bottles from colleagues but with no caps. I have a two handled wine corker (I think the same as yours, HH?) which seems to insert the cork very smoothly.

You should be ok, as long as you are gentle when you push the corks into the bottles. I have corked a few screw cap bottles myself using waxed corks & a twin lever corker. It may be a wise move to check the bottles first to make sure the screw threads are not cracked/chipped.
Cheers. Is there a better choice of cork to use?
Rob

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 pm

yashicamat wrote:Is there a better choice of cork to use?

I use the silicone coated corks from Hop & Grape myself, these are more expensive than the standard corks but make the corking task effortless.

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote:
yashicamat wrote:Is there a better choice of cork to use?

I use the silicone coated corks from Hop & Grape myself, these are more expensive than the standard corks but make the corking task effortless.
The price isn't that steep, especially considering the potential loss if a cheap cork causes a bottle next to break. :)
Rob