Cornelius keg new lid?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
neggs

Cornelius keg new lid?

Post by neggs » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi everyone,

Ive bought a Cornelius keg from ebay which has a lid with a S30 value on it (i didnt know it had been modded). The S30 value is leaking when gassed :cry: Does anyone know where I can purchase a new lid?

Thanks in advance!

sib67

Re: Cornelius keg new lid?

Post by sib67 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 pm

neggs wrote:Hi everyone,

Ive bought a Cornelius keg from ebay which has a lid with a S30 value on it (i didnt know it had been modded). The S30 value is leaking when gassed :cry: Does anyone know where I can purchase a new lid?

Thanks in advance!
Try Candirect.

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Or Norm.

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:48 pm

I've got three kegs with S30 lids attached and not had any leaking problems. Check the rubber valves and washers are all in tact and the nuts are tightened . There is no pressure release on mine (external) although there is a rubber sleeve that covers something (a hole) on the inside of them. I was looking into getting some other lids and keeping these for 9ltr kegs (are they interchangeable with 19ltr kegs??) which would give me more flexibility being as I could take an s30 cylinder and the s30 lidded 9ltr to barbeque, parties etc.

Norm said he could get lids in at £15 plus p&p so if you can't beat that with can direct...
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

delboy

Post by delboy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:47 pm

arturobandini wrote:I've got three kegs with S30 lids attached and not had any leaking problems. Check the rubber valves and washers are all in tact and the nuts are tightened . There is no pressure release on mine (external) although there is a rubber sleeve that covers something (a hole) on the inside of them. I was looking into getting some other lids and keeping these for 9ltr kegs (are they interchangeable with 19ltr kegs??) which would give me more flexibility being as I could take an s30 cylinder and the s30 lidded 9ltr to barbeque, parties etc.

Norm said he could get lids in at £15 plus p&p so if you can't beat that with can direct...

Yeah they are interchangeable between the 9L and 18L cornies.

I have a similar problem with my s30 lids, i must remeber to pick up some washers to see if that cures it.

neggs

Post by neggs » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Cheers everyone!

I'll check the rubbers and also norm.

Thanks again!

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Just thinking in brewer's warped logic here but if I wanted to keep the s30 lids for portable 9ltr kegs I might as well yoink the lids off the 9ltrs when i buy them from Norm.

Neggs, if your valves are the same as mine they'll have a tightening nut on the outside with the valve thread, on the inside you should have a washer or two pressed against the underside of the lid and a rubber sleeve over the long narrow part of the valve.

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:33 am

You say they are leaking.
Do you here the gas escaping when adding gas or does the cornie lose ALL pressure?
Don't forget a cornie with a S30 valve in the lid will hold the same pressure as a kingkeg.
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 am

mixbrewery wrote:Don't forget a cornie with a S30 valve in the lid will hold the same pressure as a kingkeg.
Not if he has the same S30's fitted as I do which have no pressure release. Kingkeg style s30's have a pressure release valve on the outside of the keg beneath a rubber sleeve whereas mine don't. I just have the thread and gas input on the exposed side of my s30 valve so nowhere for the gas to vent out. Most of the time with gas release on these it's not tight enough to the lid or a washer missing/duff. This is assuming you've got non pressure release style s30's like me.

Edit

That's the kingkeg style S30 and mine are very similar but where that browny/beige rubber sleeve covers a pressure release valve mine is pure brass thread.

Fermenting - I'm Done

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Fri May 15, 2009 5:48 pm

What did you do about this in the end Neggs?

One of my valves decided to play games with me and I solved it by robbing a washer out of a Hepworth pushfit fitting. Screwed the lower brass nut as tight as I could to the underside of the lid with the washer sat in between the nut and the lid. No leaks at all now and theoretically I can use a Hambleton bard gas cylinder on this when I take it on the road.

Fermenting - I'm Done