Homemade Boiler Lots of Pics – Asda / Tesco Kettle

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
norn_irn

Re: Homemade Boiler Lots of Pics – Asda / Tesco Kettle

Post by norn_irn » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:30 am

good post, however would this not cost an absolute fortuneon electric??????????

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Bobba » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am

Hey Norn_in!

I worked it out as I was wondering this too, it's not as bad as I thought it would be....

A kettle consumes 2.5KW and during a boil you would run two for around 20 mins to help get it to the boil and then just one for the full 90mins boil.
This works out at 2.5KW x (20 + 20 + 90 minutes) = 5.4 KW hours
Scottish power charge me about 15p per KWh so that's a grand total of £0.81

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

Stringy Bob

Post by Stringy Bob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Right, I had a go at fitting an Argos element into a spare bucket to make a dedicated HLT last night - and managed to bollocks it up. I had no problem fitting and sealing the element, but my 2 problems were:

1) The biggest one (I now need to go back to Argos to buy another kettle!) - when you remove the bi-metal strip, how did you do it. When I did it, it was secured with a metal pin which was fastened into the black casing. I proceeded to to pull this out with pliers. This however seemed to dislodge something inside the casing as there was something rattling inside. It also caused the casing to then come apart when I tried to fit it, resulting in a couple of springs and some copper contacts dropping on the floor. I now have no idea how to get these back together, so its back to Argos for another.

2) When you cut off the top section of the fitting, where the switch mechanism is located, what do I do with the wires (there are 2 thin black wire protruding from the main section of the casing, connected to the 2 red wires which lead to the switch) - do I just connect the 2 red wires and wrap them in electricians tape?

cheers

dave.wilton

Post by dave.wilton » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:47 am

Hi Bob,
I'm not really sure what you mean by the bi-metal strip, but I'm pretty sure I didn't remove it. As for the wires year I just left them on and covered them up.

Essentially all I did was remove any surplus plastic and the trip mechanism.

Yes I worked out the cost too and it really isn't that bad. Unless you go down the gas route you I don't think going to get better efficiency from a bought boiler.

Stringy Bob

Post by Stringy Bob » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:10 am

The bit I was meaning is the circular metal disc with the white grease on, shown on this photo (not my photo, its from another thread)

prolix

Post by prolix » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:19 am

that is the boil dry trip it does not need removing, as it should only trip above 100c anyway and will protect from boiling dry

Invalid Stout

Post by Invalid Stout » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Hopefully the stench of burning sugar would alert you to a problem long before the boil-dry protector took effect :D

Guzluka

Post by Guzluka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Have fitted two and made two boilers so far and they have been grand, word of advice, buy a kettle from asda, smart price about 5 quid. Bought one from wilkos and the lead would not fit into the socket as the three prongs were too short.

Jack Hackett

Post by Jack Hackett » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 pm

What has happened to the images in post #1 of this thread ?

dave.wilton

Post by dave.wilton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Jack Hackett wrote:What has happened to the images in post #1 of this thread ?
I'm not sure, i will see if I can find them again