Which Capper?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Birdy

Re: Which Capper?

Post by Birdy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm

just got one of those bench cappers, got to say i'm not overly impressed it seems a little bit more fiddley than the double lever thingy having to tip the bottle to get it under,think the double lever ones a bit quicker and more mobile, maybe i'm not using it properly or i'm just not used to it yet :?

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 am

Birdy wrote:just got one of those bench cappers, got to say i'm not overly impressed it seems a little bit more fiddley than the double lever thingy having to tip the bottle to get it under,think the double lever ones a bit quicker and more mobile, maybe i'm not using it properly or i'm just not used to it yet :?
If the height is set correctly, you shouldn't need to tip the bottles under, as there's about a 2 inch swing on the cap'ing piston, so just try moving it up one notch, this should still give you enough piston length to cap corretly.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

FlourPower
Hollow Legs

Post by FlourPower » Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 pm

I played about with an empty bottle to find the right height.
Drinking: Turbo Cider, Black Rain Stout, Jotun Killer Double Stout, Apple Wine, AG#1 F.A.G,
Fermenting: Bramble Wine
Conditioning: Blueberry Jam Mead, Gales Mead, HLM EPIC FORCE Methegln, Tropical Juice TC on an orange mead slurry, AG#2 S.L.A.G.
Waiting for Space: Muntons Conn: Bock

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Thu May 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for the advise guys will mess around with it a bit more before i decide whether to keep it or not, i know it says it's a bench capper,(was hopeing to use it free standing) but i feel it does need to be bolted down i was trying it out last night on the dining room table and it flew backwards and nearly paralysed the cat :shock:

FlourPower
Hollow Legs

Post by FlourPower » Thu May 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Hmm doesn't sound like mine. I used mine unmounted. Did it come to about £30ish?
Drinking: Turbo Cider, Black Rain Stout, Jotun Killer Double Stout, Apple Wine, AG#1 F.A.G,
Fermenting: Bramble Wine
Conditioning: Blueberry Jam Mead, Gales Mead, HLM EPIC FORCE Methegln, Tropical Juice TC on an orange mead slurry, AG#2 S.L.A.G.
Waiting for Space: Muntons Conn: Bock

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 am

I never mounted my capper, but then we haven't ever developed that sort of relationship [-X :D :D

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Fri May 08, 2009 8:20 am

I use the Youngs 2 handle capper and have had no problems with it. Then again i only use Magners and the common 'standard' microbrewery 500ml brown bottles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Home-brew-beer-ma ... 7C294%3A50

garwatts wrote:I never mounted my capper, but then we haven't ever developed that sort of relationship [-X :D :D
=D>

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Fri May 08, 2009 9:00 pm

twas about £28 from art of brewing, i do need to use quite a bit of force to cap though and when it has it wont let go of the bottle :?

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Fri May 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Just to recap (pardon the pun) used my bench capper last night and allayed all my earlier concerns, i clamped it to a work bench and it worked a treat, bottled 36 bottles no problem, so its a thumbs up from me :D

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Fri May 15, 2009 8:15 pm

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Sat May 16, 2009 1:00 am

StrangeBrew wrote:Bench Capper on eBay
That's similar to mine. They're a breeze to use and no trouble with it. Can now use all types of bottle ie Hook Norton, Hobgoblin etc. Also splashed out on a bottle tree and washer (holds 80 bottles) They are a boon. =D> Makes the job so much easier and saves on water and the old back 8)

bazbaby3
Steady Drinker

Post by bazbaby3 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:29 pm

Two words BENCH CAPPER.
mmmmmmm beer!
Fv1 - Wheatbeer.
Fv2 - Nothing.
Cornie1 - Orfys hob goblin clone.
Cornie2 - Styrian stuner.