Counterflow Cooler Question

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Counterflow Cooler Question

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Bear with me while I try write this so it makes sense...

I think I've just sorted out my boiler and hop strainer to work so that I have 75ml of liquid dead space (not accounting for hop soakage!)
I've got about 500mm of copper tube coming from the boilers Ball valve to lead to the FV bucket and I just wondered about if 500mm of copper would be enough to make a short counterflow cooler?

Looking at jdt199's viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17728&start=15 construction and with that in mind... Could I do the following???

1 length of 10mm copper pipe (approx 500mm long and possibly with some crimp indentations in it) with a 28/35mm covering copper pipe water jacket with the hosepipe connections as per jdt199's. I suppose a few copper fins could be soldered onto the10mm OD pipe too. Would the combination of a steady boiler drain down and flow of cold water in the cooling jacket be enough to reduce the wort temperature to pitching temperature?

Just a thought :)

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Counterflow Cooler Question

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:53 am

I'm experimenting with making a CFC using a very tight coil of 10mm or maybe even 8mm copper tube. That way the total length of the tube will be about 3 times greater but contained in a shorter outer tube. Just need to source the materials (mainly the large outer) then play with the flow rates. Not sure if I want the cold break in my FV though and the hassle of sanitising the chiller.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife