Fridge broken thermostat? Its really cold!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dave.wilton

Fridge broken thermostat? Its really cold!

Post by dave.wilton » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:13 pm

I had an old fridge (one of the smaller ones with a freezer unit in the top) that I wanted to convert for use with my corni. So I removed all plastic from the freezer unit took it out being careful not to break the metal tube that connected to it (I understood that the freezer unit was the only 'source' of 'cold'!). Then I made some minor alterations to the metal to make it fit in behind the corni.

But now it never 'cut's out' so after a few hours the whole fridge is really really cold! I was careful to re-attach a small plastic plate, which seemed to be connected into the area with the light / temp dial with a metal wire, back to the main freezer unit. I figured this was the thermostat.

I have no idea if the fridge worked properly before my modifications, but I'd guess so.

Does anybody have any idea what I might have done?! Can I buy anything to fix it? I can post pictures if it helps.

I was looking at this site http://www.fridgeshop.net/ and they have a generic thermostat for £20 del. I just wasn't sure if that would fix my problem.

edit1now
Under the Table

Re: Fridge broken thermostat? Its really cold!

Post by edit1now » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Here's a cheaper generic fridge thermostat for you. I couldn't get mine to shut off a beer line chiller, but that's a different application. Alternatively you could go £30 on a Fortex TC-10. Their website seems to be down this evening though.

dave.wilton

Post by dave.wilton » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks for that, it was much cheaper! I decided to give it a go, worth the risk at £5. thanks

I did some tests last night and on number 1 it went right down to 5oC for the top of the door temperature, it was probably much colder close to my corni. Not really a suitable temperature for serving english ale

Thanks
Dave

Frisfur

Post by Frisfur » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:23 am

If you can take a piccy of your alterations I may be able to help

dave.wilton

Post by dave.wilton » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks, I will take a couple tonight.

Arg the Fortex site is back up. Why did I look at that! I want one of those now!

dave.wilton

Post by dave.wilton » Mon May 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Predictably I went for the Fortex TC-10 and it's brilliant!

It was really easy to wire and works perfectly. I don't have a heating module hooked up at the moment, but that is fine for summer.

Thanks for the help guys