Scotty's DIY AG Brewery equipment

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Scotty

Scotty's DIY AG Brewery equipment

Post by Scotty » Sat May 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Hello chaps,

Looks like I've got everything ready except an IC, but I would like to make sure everything is ok and going to be efficient as possible.

Mash Tun

Coolbox with a capacity of approx 25 litres. First test showed a temperature drop of 4c over one hour. Test carried out with no grain, 1/3 full of water, extra insulation and the box was not at room temperature when strike water added. I'm happy with the results as the grain will help maintain a constant temperature.

HLT/Boiler

I'm going to use the boiler for liqour and boiling the wort. The boiler is similar to a burco boiler except it is an aluminium stockpot fired by gas. It has a capacity of 40-50 litres and fitted with a drum tap. The hopstopper is one of Garth's which sits on the bottom of the boiler via a t-piece and is very good at stopping rubbish coming through.

One problem is the 'dead space' at the bottom equates to around 6 litres :shock: . The inside diameter is 43cm. Any ideas on how to increase the efficieny?

Chiller

I am going to go with a double immersion chiller. Both of approx 10 meters with one inside the other ala Scooby except running seperately so the water is flowing through 10 as opposed to 20m.

FV

Going to use standard FV bins at present with a black binliner to prevent light hitting it.

Dispensing

Cornies, enough said :wink:

How does all this sound?

Parva

Re: Scotty's DIY AG Brewery equipment

Post by Parva » Sat May 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Sounds like you're good to go. :)

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Sat May 02, 2009 5:13 pm

Now get brewin! :)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sat May 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Scotty Mc wrote:HLT/Boiler
One problem is the 'dead space' at the bottom equates to around 6 litres :shock: . The inside diameter is 43cm. Any ideas on how to increase the efficieny?
The 'Syphon Effect', I blogged my stockpot conversion http://pdtnc.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/s ... onversion/
I originally had at least 1.5 litres but got it working so that I drained down to about 75ml :) :)

You need to have your pickup point as near the base of the pan as possible and then a pipe coming from your tap vertically down that is probably a bit restricted so as to keep air from bubbling back up it while its draining... My stock pot not only drained out brilliantly, it also did it faster!!

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat May 02, 2009 11:26 pm

the syphon effect was something that I hadn't considered. Spoke to Garth tonight there and he metioned it. The hopstopper sits flat on the bottom of the boiler using a t-piece. I now need to find a length of pipe large enough to fit over the tap! :lol:

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 pm

I've just bought myself an ATC800 for my fridge as I cannot seem to keep the cornie temps correct. Plus I should be able to do a proper lager by using it

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun May 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Update on the boiler....

Having found pipe large enough to fit to the boiler tap, I am now leaving behind just 1.5 litres of water as opposed to the original 6 litres. Result!

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed May 27, 2009 6:11 pm

After doing my first AG last Saturday, I've concluded that the amont of time taken against the brewlength (ended up 19l :? ), increasing the brewlength is the way forward. So yesterday, I ordered a 100l stockpot from Nordic for my boiler. I also have a s/steel mash tun in the pipeline :wink:

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Wed May 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Scotty Mc wrote: I also have a s/steel mash tun in the pipeline :wink:
How on earth did you fit one of those in your pipe work :?: :D :D

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed May 27, 2009 7:49 pm

garwatts wrote:
Scotty Mc wrote: I also have a s/steel mash tun in the pipeline :wink:
How on earth did you fit one of those in your pipe work :?: :D :D
Wouldn't you like to know fnar fnar! :lol: