Heineken 5L Draught Keg for Home Brewing???

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
xpers

Heineken 5L Draught Keg for Home Brewing???

Post by xpers » Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm

I keep seeing these Heineken 5L Draught kegs in the supermarket for around £15. I have not brought one but does anyone know whether they could be reused for home brewing???

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Heineken 5L Draught Keg for Home Brewing???

Post by floydmeddler » Tue May 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Have never seen it done!

purple_chicken

Post by purple_chicken » Thu May 07, 2009 11:32 pm

I had 2 of them which i got from aldi's for a tenner,
beer was pretty crap, did look at converting them but for 5l decided it wasn't worth it and would stick with my 19l cornie....

stu-le-brew
Hollow Legs

Post by stu-le-brew » Fri May 08, 2009 9:49 am

I have been using similar 5litre kegs that I buy from Brouwland in Belgium (I live in France), it is necessary to buy a tap and small gas cartridges. I now have about 40 of them much simpler than bottling - all of my friends have bought their own taps ! [-X
Stu-le-brew
All stainless system, thanks supplier on EBay France
100ltr Copper gas powered
80ltr insulated Mash Tun (Thermopot)
70ltr electric HLT with home made digital temp controller (with PID and SSR)
pumped sparge system and pumped stainless immersion chilling system for summer use (using a ice/water-bath)

mooj
Hollow Legs

Post by mooj » Fri May 08, 2009 5:54 pm

The heinekin kegs are sealed - too much bother to convert I'd say but I've re-used some 5l kegs that had summer lightning in several times with no problems - the sort that has a bottom pull-out tap and a vent/bung at the top. IMO these are a great alternative to bottling so long as they are used quickly. I prime as per bottles. I've found the first pint is sprayed out at high pressure then you have to open the vent bung at the top to allow the beer to flow. I like them for parties / bbqs, so much less hassle than bottles. Of course the sediment means they won't travel particularly well, unless you like hazy, yeasty beer. Lidl have similar kegs with dodgy lager in, I keep meaning to get some more.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sat May 09, 2009 8:34 am

The Lidl ones are only worth buying if they contain the wheat beer, which I find quite acceptable. I didn't like the Grafenwalder lager much. We've used the 5l cans to dispense TC but I didn't dare use them for my precious beer. If anyone could come up with a way of applying about 5 psi of CO2 to the top valve then the cans might be really useful. NB they are plastic-coated steel, and will rust anywhere that the plastic gets scratched.

stu-le-brew
Hollow Legs

Post by stu-le-brew » Sat May 09, 2009 8:51 am

edit1now wrote:The Lidl ones are only worth buying if they contain the wheat beer, which I find quite acceptable. I didn't like the Grafenwalder lager much. We've used the 5l cans to dispense TC but I didn't dare use them for my precious beer. If anyone could come up with a way of applying about 5 psi of CO2 to the top valve then the cans might be really useful. NB they are plastic-coated steel, and will rust anywhere that the plastic gets scratched.
As I said in my earlier message, I use these kegs all the time, I always go for a secondary fermentation in the keg, and use the gas cartridge to help get the beer out of the keg. One gas cartridge can last for several kegs, interestingly I have from the same batch put some in bottle and some in mini keg while the bottle one has better condition the keg tastes better. Take a look at http://www.brouwland.com site to see the starter kit, it comes with a tap a few kegs and some gas cartridges, it’s what I started with first.
The only keg that I have had problems with rust (thrown away now) was one with a tap at the bottom and a vent in the top. The rust was probably caused by me getting the vent out of the top to use it with the new system.
Last edited by stu-le-brew on Sat May 09, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stu-le-brew
pumped sparge system and pumped stainless immersion chilling system for summer use (using a ice/water-bath)

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sat May 09, 2009 9:02 am

These ones? (Typo in your link :( )

They don't seem to have the special rubber bungs on their own, so one would have to buy the keg as well instead of re-using the Lidl ones.

stu-le-brew
Hollow Legs

Post by stu-le-brew » Sat May 09, 2009 9:33 am

The keg as supplied from brouwland comes with rubber bungs, they also sell packs of rubber bungs separately. I have bought these packs in the past as empty kegs don't always comeback from friends with the bung

The bung is in two parts, the central part drops into the keg when you push the long spout part of the tap into the keg.
Stu-le-brew

mooj
Hollow Legs

Post by mooj » Sun May 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Candirect are worth a look for mini kegs also, shame about the crap euro exchange at the moment.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.