DIY Mash Tun Questions

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris_reboot

DIY Mash Tun Questions

Post by chris_reboot » Wed May 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Ok, so ready for the step forward to AG.

First then, the mash tun.

I want to be able to make about 5 gallon brews.
Still very green at this so need some advice on what to do.

I have a regular (non-insulated) picnic sized cooler box.
I've 1/3 filled it tonight with boiling water.
Start temp was 93C, after 90 mins, this dropped to 77C, thus a reduction of 16C.
Obviously, with grain in, and more water, the drop should be less, but is that far off what I want?

Second option, I have also a 48qt (whatever litre size that is, 45L I think) coleman coolbox with drain pipe built in.
Is this going to be too large? It looks the part, and is nicely insulated, so should hold temp much better than the one above.

Third option, bite the bullet, go out and get a regular size, insulated box and customise that?

Confused! HELP!

Parva

Re: DIY Mash Tun Questions

Post by Parva » Wed May 06, 2009 10:45 pm

The Coleman would be absolutely ideal. It'll have no problems with a mash for a 5g or 10g batch. As for the smaller coolbox you have, are you sure it's not insulated? It's very hard to tell from temperatures taken with just water unfortunately. That too will be big enough for a 5g brew but I'd immediately go for the Coleman due to it being able to easily do both 5g and 10g brews, once you get brewing you'll want to be scaling up in short order.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu May 07, 2009 9:44 am

I am governed by my boiler size and quantity of kegs to begin with, so 5 Gallons is right for me (or less due to evapouration etc).
Plus, as I've not done it this way before, don't want to commit to 10 Gals if it turns out to be sarsons!

My only concern was that the coleman is *too* big (for 5 Gals).
The floor dimensions means its more than twice the footprint of the regular sized coolbox, so was worried that the grain would rest thinner on the bottom.

Had advice that this could be an issue. Is grain better off in a taller narrower column, or doesn't it matter?

My other thought was that a larger MT would mean less sparging, so is that not better?
Still can't decide...!! Arrghh!

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks Chris.

What if I used the large coolbox, 5 gallon amount, and sparged twice then?
or have I got my volumes all wrong?!? :roll:

Jerry Cornelius

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Thu May 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Great video again Chris.

One question though - when the grain was mashed in, did you turn off the heater - or is it kept at the required temperature by a thermostat?

Tequilla6

Post by Tequilla6 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:00 pm

Another question Chris-x1, Where was the annoying music...I missed it :oops:

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 am

Parva wrote:The Coleman would be absolutely ideal. It'll have no problems with a mash for a 5g or 10g batch. As for the smaller coolbox you have, are you sure it's not insulated? It's very hard to tell from temperatures taken with just water unfortunately. That too will be big enough for a 5g brew but I'd immediately go for the Coleman due to it being able to easily do both 5g and 10g brews, once you get brewing you'll want to be scaling up in short order.
Would you not be concerned then about using the 48 quart for only a 5 gallon brew?
Is it not going to have too much headspace in the box, or too thin a layer of grain?

Anyone actually used one of these big boys for less than a 10 gall brew?

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri May 08, 2009 12:52 am

It claims to be able to hold ice for 5 days, I suspect that it could manage a 5g mash for 90 minutes. It's certainly on my shopping list.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Fri May 08, 2009 8:48 am

cool! (no pun intended)

just dont want to start hacking about with it until I'm sure!
newbie cautiousness!

kevron

Post by kevron » Fri May 08, 2009 10:55 am

hi,

the coleman 48qt coolbox is great for a large or small mash, it keeps the temp great I always pre heat the mashtun with hot water from the kettle for 10 mins, then I discard that water before adding the water for the grain, it has only ever lost 1/2 degree on a 2 hour mash, plus it's already got the hole so you can put your own tap in, I use a cheap water butt one from b&q it works ok :D

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Fri May 08, 2009 11:34 am

kevron, about to go to B+Q, so how does the tap fit?

Does it fit the hole nicely, or do I need washers etc?
also, intending to use 15mm copper pipe for manifold, how does that fit into your tap?
Thanks,Chris

kevron

Post by kevron » Fri May 08, 2009 11:59 am

chris_reboot wrote:kevron, about to go to B+Q, so how does the tap fit?

Does it fit the hole nicely, or do I need washers etc?
also, intending to use 15mm copper pipe for manifold, how does that fit into your tap?
Thanks,Chris

its a good tight fit, the seal comes with the tap you don't need to buy any washers the tap fits straight in the hole :D
the manifold is 15mm coppper pipe with an inch of hose pipe to make the manifold a tight fit in the rear of the tap, I've done about 15 brews so far with it and had no problems [-o<

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Fri May 08, 2009 5:14 pm

thanks kevron.

read your post just in time (at b+q!)

will try and get the blasted orginal pipe out this weekend, doesn't seem to want to come out! #-o

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Fri May 08, 2009 9:46 pm

<ignore>